help me with my first medium format camera

dfa19799

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good day, I'm new to the forum! I'm also new to photography and I'd love some advice about getting a medium format camera. Ideally, I'd like to go for a slightly older system because I've read this is an economical option (not as in-demand as newer cameras and digital systems). I'm straight out of university and can't spend too too much, but I'd still rather pay more for quality than skimp. Would you have any ideas about models, or other advice? Thank you so much!

Blad Composite 2 by longm1985, on Flickr

:D My kinda thread!

Hasselblad is, in my opinion at least, the highest quality you can get. Here's the thing: you can put one together on KEH for less than you can get a complete outfit anywhere. Here's my list of recommendations to start out:

https://www.keh.com/225307/hasselbl...for-hasselblad-500-series-v-system-bayonet-50

The "UG" ones most likely look better than you might think. That's been my experience.

https://www.keh.com/225400/hasselblad-500cm-chrome-medium-format-camera-body

https://www.keh.com/225104/hasselblad-manual-focus-a16s-chr

There you have a 6x4.5 option, giving you 16 exposures on a roll of 120. Otherwise, there's regular 6x6 backs all over. Again, this is just my opinion as I love Hasselblad and am horribly biased.

Mamiya C series like 220 or 330 might be more cost effective. Even Rolleiflex, bit less flexible, fixed lens camera, would be excellent choice for medium format beginner. Or how about that ?
https://www.keh.com/226521/fuji-medium-format-gs645s-pro-60-f4-49
https://www.keh.com/226535/fuji-medium-format-gw690ii-90-f3-5-67
You have to remember, that the older systems shoot on film and shooting film will cost you on ongoing bases and create a whole host of problems you might be not expecting. However, film has own charm, worth trying. :thumbup:

I'm guessing you've already checked out local lab availability and costs for film workflow, right? If not, then do so before you commit.

Which of the three common formats appeal to you: 645, 6x6, or 6x7?

Older isn't necessarily cheaper or better, especially considering repair/refurb costs and issues finding local repair shops. This was less a problem 5-8 years ago but film camera repair isn't immune to market forces and there just aren't as many around now.

Get the newest gear you can afford. Typically, medium format wasn't used by casual, hobby shooters; pros made livings with it, used it heavily, and didn't always maintain it as well as many think. Cheap, worked-to-death beaters are best avoided. TLRs and long-obsolete models often involve parts issues as well as pricey, hard-to-find repairs. Relics aren't necessarily "cost-effective" in my experience.

Check out major, strong-selling, late model system cameras from Pentax, Bronica, and Mamiya. Better price/quality selection, fewer age-related issues.

What film format do you want?

SLR, Rangefinder, Twin Lens?

want cheap, look for a Twin Lens. Picked up a Yaschica EM for like 40 bucks and it works awesome but wouldnt trust it as much as my Rollei but that was 250. Cant go wrong with a Mamiya, Contax, Pentax, Hassalblad but they can cost anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand depending on what model and accessories are offered. My Mamiya RZ67 with two lenses, a case, handle, shutter release, metered prism viewfinder and 120 back was 375 (maybe 275?) to my door.

Last edited:
If you're going to carry it around then the Hassy is the way to go.

If that's too pricey then look into Bronica.

If you don't mind carrying a tripod along or want to do studio work then an old RB67/RZ67 kit is really a great bit of gear. (6x7 format and revolving backs are really great). The lenses for these match the hassy's too and are a lot less expensive.

A couple of months ago, I decided I wanted to pick up photography again, after 20 or so years.....I researched the cost of film and digital, and decided to leave my Mamiya 645 stored, and picked up a DSLR....film, processing and all will run your cost up quckly.....jmo....

And, today's Debbie Downer Award goes to ....

hqdefault.jpg

Wizard1500!!!

Compur...exactly what is wrong with what I wrote? The OP wanted advise....advise is usually based on opinions....that is my opinion.....

And, today's Debbie Downer Award goes to ....

hqdefault.jpg

Wizard1500!!!

Fresh from the APUG echo chamber where fabulism, denial, and incivility drown out the slighest suggestion that film doesn't work for everyone.

Well, Wizard ... maybe if you went to, say, a vintage car forum and expressed the opinion that old cars were too much trouble and expense to bother with, you might get some responses that would give you a hint.

Or, you could go to a forum for fishing enthusiasts and tell them you prefer to just buy fish at the supermarket because fishing gear costs too much.

Or, try a vintage watch forum and tell them you can tell time just fine with your smartphone so ... what's the big deal about watches?

I'm sure you will be warmly welcomed at the above and many other similar forums and the members there will be glad to explain it all to you.

I'll give you one hint though: It has to do with something that one might find at a party floating in the punch bowl.

:lol:

Fresh from the APUG echo chamber where fabulism, denial, and incivility drown out the slighest suggestion that film doesn't work for everyone.

By the same token, don't I have the same right to express my opinion?

And, "incivility"? Maybe. Takes one to know one, I guess. Your rudeness on this forum is well known.

But, "fabulism"? and "denial"? -- how so? This is a film forum. It's for film photo enthusiasts of which I am one. And, I have never said that "film is for everyone" or anything remotely similar. Your criticism is a falsehood.

It's not about "film vs digital." It's about appropriate comments on an enthusiast's forum. See my comments to Wizard above. You could use the same exercise, it appears. Only a dolt would expect to be welcomed in a place full of enthusiasts of a particular activity while making comments that invalidate their activity.

But, then it would take rudimentary social skills to be aware of that concept. A point that is most likely lost on you, cgw.

Last edited:
To the OP...sorry if I messed up your thread....I didn't mean to....being new to TPF, I fail, at times, to realize what subforum I am in....

To compur.....you need to cool your jets.....

Last edited:
My jets are icy but thank you for considering what I had to say. :)

A couple of months ago, I decided I wanted to pick up photography again, after 20 or so years.....I researched the cost of film and digital, and decided to leave my Mamiya 645 stored, and picked up a DSLR....film, processing and all will run your cost up quckly.....jmo....
And a $5000+ camera -for a "nice" one, probably more if you're comparing it to medium format- doesn't run up the costs at all.

I've been quite happy with my Fuji GF670 - my first medium format camera. The Bessa 667 is the same thing.

It's a folder, so you only have one lens/focal length to work with, 80mm ("normal" for the format). But it's a pleasure to use, and it lets you choose between 6x6 or 6x7. There aren't really any "features", but what it does, it does well.

One reason I would agree with everyone who suggested a TLR is that I found it actually helped me wrap my head around the differences between shooting medium-format and 35mm. I'd been shooting 35mm for many years before I got a Mamiya 645 Pro TL. It's a great camera but it took me a while to really get used to it. My first few rolls really weren't very good and it ended up on a shelf for a long time.

Then I got a Lubitel 166B, a TLR. It was very different from what I was used to, and it helped me understand the benefits of shooting medium-format and what it could do as compared to 35mm. I took out the 645 again and suddenly, the pictures I took with it were much better.

I've since acquired a Mamiya C330 and love it, but they can also be heavy and intimidating. You're on a budget so even the kits that are "only" 300-400 might already be out of your range, but you say you're also willing to pay extra for quality.

So what's a rough budget you're working with? If you can afford a Rolleiflex, then that's what I would suggest, but if you can't afford one, then I'd go with the Yashica mentioned above. And if you don't mind paying a little bit and carrying a heavy camera, get a Mamiya C220 or C220. Those also have the advantage of interchangeable lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back