Lumpmister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey All,

So next semester I will start taking some photography classes, in order to do this I have to take the first photography class which requires a Film Camera. Now I am all digital, so I am not sure which one to get. I have a Nikon D3 so all my lenses are full frame and should work fine with a Nikon Film Camera.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on one, but also would like a decent one. I have been researching and discovered that the Nikon F100 might be a good choice for me.

Any Advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

F100 is an excellent choice, or if you want something that feels exactly like your D3, go for an F5.

F100's can be had in next to new condition for $200, F5's are running about $350.

I personally would want a ultra-light camera if my other body was a D3, so I might go with an Fe or Fe2 manual focus--just be sure that your lenses all have aperture rings on (non-G) if you plan on using them on an older film body (The F5 and F100 will work fine with G lenses).

The Nikon N90s is around $80 to $100,and has simple controls and a big, bright viewfinder,and is very easy to get to know. It is a buyer's market,so do not pay too much for any 35mm film camera now.

I did look into the F5, but I would rather have a smaller camera. I think I will try and find a good priced F100.

Thanks for your Help!

Look at local pawnshops, and on your local Craigslist.

In my area, I could find any number of Nikon 35mm AF film bodies for under $50.00, and manual focus bodies for even less than that...

It is most definitely a buyers market out there.

Hey All,

So next semester I will start taking some photography classes, in order to do this I have to take the first photography class which requires a Film Camera. Now I am all digital, so I am not sure which one to get. I have a Nikon D3 so all my lenses are full frame and should work fine with a Nikon Film Camera.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on one, but also would like a decent one. I have been researching and discovered that the Nikon F100 might be a good choice for me.

Any Advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

After reading an article on KenRockwell.com, it does seem the F100 may be the best route to go. You will find he has done a compatability chart for lenses in the manual focus arena that WILL work with the AF series film and digital SLR's (and vice versa!). WARNING: Even though it is stated that some lenses will work okay or gives functionality with various bodies; it is through his experimentation, NOT necessarily what the manufacture indicates as being safe to use.

And to Patrick: I wish the AF bodies were going under $50 on Craigslist in my area!! People are really asking some hefty prices for their older equipment to where eBay is going to be a better route.

After reading an article on KenRockwell.com, it does seem the F100 may be the best route to go. You will find he has done a compatability chart for lenses in the manual focus arena that WILL work with the AF series film and digital SLR's (and vice versa!). WARNING: Even though it is stated that some lenses will work okay or gives functionality with various bodies; it is through his experimentation, NOT necessarily what the manufacture indicates as being safe to use.

And to Patrick: I wish the AF bodies were going under $50 on Craigslist in my area!! People are really asking some hefty prices for their older equipment to where eBay is going to be a better route.

OK thanks, I will just have to try my way ahead with the lenses.

I love the FM and the FM2 but we are talking about much older cameras.

Michael

Most beginner's photography courses with which I am familiar, require an all-manual film camera. Most do not want you to use an automatic that can be set to run manually.

The reason? You will never get to know the interrelationships of f/stop and shutter speeds without having to do the work manually and see the results. the same goes for manual focusing with a side trip into depth-of-field studies. When I was a kid, I bought an Ansco Regent 35mm camera. I could open the back of the camera and click the shutter, hold open the diaphragm, etc.--watch the thing work and, along with the numbers on the outside, I really got to know the ropes. You should, too.

Go cheap--get a Nikon FM or some such fully manual camera with a built-in meter that takes a modern battery (not a mercury type) and buy a standard Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens. You can buy such an outfit on KEH.com or BHphotovideo.com for a pittance and it will serve you well.

I have the f100 and the f5. Unless you are really going to need a tough strong fast camera get the f100.
It is perfectly capable, build quality is excellent, much smaller and lighter than the f5....but still....I love my f5!

... I have a Nikon D3 so all my lenses are full frame and should work fine with a Nikon Film Camera. ...

Not necessarily true. Many (most?) film bodies requires lenses with f/stop rings and will not work with "G" series lenses even if they are full frame (FX) lenses.

Most reactions

Back