Help needed - what are the options.

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so after this weekend lugging my DSLR and lenses around with me - I've decided it's actually time to scale BACK and try to get back to basics and lightweight setup.

So I'll be selling my DSLR equipment.

However, I am looking into the M43 stuff, abnd am slightly confused by all of the offerings, pros, cons and compatibility stuff.

For example, I've read that all M43 lenses fit across bodies as it's the mount that makes the difference, not the manufacturer. Is that right?

Why isn't the Sony AR7 getting as good reviews as perhaps it should?

What is the difference between Olympus PEN vs OM-D

Bright, I can't really help you with the questions that you are asking me. But I will offer up my 2 cents and a website to consider.

First, if I were going to "downsize" or add a smaller system to my tool box, I would consider the FujiFilm cameras (XE, XT or XTpro). I've heard really good things about them and I have a Fuji film camera and really like it.

The website is Zack Arias. He is an amazing photog and uses the Fujifilm cameras mentioned. He also has a Phase One system that he uses too, but says that he uses the Fuji more than it.

I'm sure that others will be able to answer your questions.

Micro 4/3rd lenses will fit their cameras so if you buy an Olympus or Panasonic either manufacturers lenses will do. However each manufacturer may have inbuilt jpeg corrections that will only work with its own brand of lens.

Most Olympus bodies have inbuilt stabilisation, some Panasonic do but mostly they build it into their lenses.

Pen and OMD are different styles of camera, both using similar technology but the higher end cameras being omd. All omd as far as I know have built in evf, some pens do but the ones that don't can usually add an accessory evf via the hotshoe.

I originally bought an EPL5,a superb camera, however recently upgraded to OMD EM5 for the evf and weather sealing. Image quality is fantastic, almost as good as my d7100. However a m4/3rds camera has slightly more dof at a given aperture when all is framed up etc ( my definition may not be exact but you understand what I mean, in everyday use the m43 camera is not quite as good at seperating a subject from its background).

Not sure what exactly your looking for but have a look at the Olymus omd e10, their entry level hight spec well reviewed model. One more thing, these cameras don't track focus like a dslr, apparently though the new EM1 is as good as one, it's their highest level m43.

I know nothing about the Sony

Nikon D7100 gripped, 12-24 (FOR SALE!!!!!), 24-70, 50, 70-200, 105, 150-500 & SB-700.
Ducks in a row ready to go FX!

WUT??????????????

Too much to be carrying around for me Derrel - especially after a previous arm & wrist issue means it's not easy to carry it all.
I tried to continue but just wasn't working out for me the way I would have preferred.

Judging by your signature, I understand that budget shouldn't be of much concern. So that's a start.

Micro Four Thirds is the most diverse lens mount on the market. Olympus, Panasonic and now JK Imaging (a rejuvenation of the Kodak brand) are all first-party makers of both cameras and lenses. No worries of third-party manufacturers' lenses suddenly not autofocusing on a new body. First-party manufacturers competing against each other, driving quality up and prices down, in the same system. That's beautiful.

To get caught up on the mirrorless market, read Thom Hogan's recent article, So Which Camera?

Yeah my thoughts are currently on the Olympus given what I've read. I hear d something about the Fuji a while back that wasn't so complimentary - although they don't seem to get a bad rep here - and it's you guys I trust - as you guys use that equipment every day, I trust in you.

Yeah my thoughts are currently on the Olympus given what I've read. I hear d something about the Fuji a while back that wasn't so complimentary - although they don't seem to get a bad rep here - and it's you guys I trust - as you guys use that equipment every day, I trust in you.
Did you read my post? It got sort of mixed up between robbins.photo's and yours…

Did you read my post? It got sort of mixed up between robbins.photo's and yours…

Got it open now :)
Thanks!!

MY only suggestion is,which ever one you go for,get one with a Viewfinder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back