Help needed with Colour Management

AmDev

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all

I hope someone can help me out on here.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop and X-rite's iProfiler to calibrate the monitor. I shoot in Raw and import to CS6 via ACR, applying ProPhoto RGB 16bit at ACR stage.

I edit my image in CS6 and save the psd. To create a jpeg I usually the save for web option if it's not for printing. I have 5 images I need to send to someone in jpeg format for them to print. I have converted the psd file to 8 bit, and used the save as option to create the jpeg. When I view the file in Windows Photo Viewer they look as expected but as a slideshow the colours are very very wrong. So I have no confidence in the colour the client will see or that will be printed.

I have tried re-calibrating my monitor to no avail and now I'm lost as to what to do next to resolve the issue. Please help.

What colorspace are the JPEG images in?
They need to be in sRGB.

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

In CS 6 click on Edit > Convert To Profile. That will show the colorspace the image is in, and you can change the colorspace to one appropriate for the output use.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's done the trick. I had expected this to adjust the colours but it hasn't done so. Is there any point in me using ProPhoto as I have been or should I just use sRGB from ACR stage?

Image editing experts recommend editing in the broadest colorspace available, which pretty much means ProPhoto RGB.

As you have discovered, the working colorspace has to be changed to one appropriate for the output use as one of the last post production steps.

The Internet is sRGB. Some print labs can handle both sRGB and Adobe RGB files.

Images destined for off-set press printing usually need to be in the CMYK color model instead of the RGB color model. (RGB has a rather large family of colorspaces - sRGB, Adobe RGB, and ProPhotoRGB being just 3 of them.)

If you don't have them already, i highly recommend the following inexpensive learning/reference books:
Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back