Help needed !

Tyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tls-photo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok guys I bought a "Olympus Evolt E-500 Digital Camera & 14-45mm Lens", I got it off ebay foe $440.00. Is that a bad deal? I have Olympus Xd cards I own A D-425 and a Sp-310. I have a 64mb and 1 gig xd cards.So I have the hole card thing under control. I should have it before Xmas.
The question of the day is (are).
1. What kind of lens should I get, it comes with a 14-45.
2. Where can get a guide or forum thread that teaches me what lens does what in simple terms (I'm a moron)?
3. What is a 14-45 lens good for?
4. Filters, do you always use one when shooting in sunlight?
5. Raw or JPEG?
6. I can't think of any more questions, can you?

All of those questions are better awnsered from experimentation. except for #2, and even half of it can be found out in experimentation,.

I think if you search this forum you could find some answers to those questions. and like Sw1tchFX said, experimentation is always good and since it is digital you have no excuse not to...
get to work!

But but but I don't have the money to go buy 50 thousand lenss to see if i like them.

Tyson said:
But but but I don't have the money to go buy 50 thousand lenss to see if i like them.
Quite. These sites should help you somewhat to understand the lens issue, though they might be slightly technical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_lens
http://www.photo.net/learn/making-photographs/lens

After you've gone through those and have understood the principles of lenses in photography, you'll be in a much better position to answer your other questions. Including whether you should get other lenses right now, or what kind of focal length and aperture you will want.

And if later you still need more information, keep posting questions, people would be happy to help out.

Incidentally, I find that if you already have a lens, then experimenting first with that lens is a good idea. Get knowledgeable about photography, learn the ropes and the techniques, then you'll have a bettle handle on what to spend money on. Buying a new lens straight off the bat may be too much. I think that's what the other posters mean when they say "experiment." That is, experiment with what you have, and learn from it.

Quick explaination regarding RAW vs JPEG, RAW is typically a LOT more detailed.
This page explains it very well:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7603_7-6241014-7.html?tag=tnav

The lens you got with the purchase is a decent 28-90 (35mm equalivalent). So you have the middle ranges covered (50mm is considered normal view with your eyes). I think you shoud give it a try before going out and getting one right away. When looking at new lenses remember to 2x the lens factor (in other words a 100mm lens would be 200mm view on your camera).

Your camera has the option to take Raw and Jpeg at the same time. Or raw on its own, or several jpeg levels on their own. RAW is a picture where the camera'a computer does not do alot of processing of the image. It is meant for someone who will do their own fixes on a computer. Raw is basically a "pure" picture from the camera. Jpeg is a picture where the camera compresses the file for more storage and also sends the picture through the cameras computer and makes fixes to the settings or mode the camera is in. If you don't do any photoshop or equavilent programs work, you can just shoot jpeg. If don't don't take alot of pictures and can download the memory card often. Then you can shoot Raw+jpeg mode and have a copy of both. I shoot Raw+jpeg 90% of the time.

For shooting outdoors a polarizer filter works wonders! That would be the filter I would recommend over any of the others for a first one. If you don't have one, get a decent tripod. I would get a circular polarizer and a tripod before another lens.

Most reactions

Back