HELP| Night Photography Problem. Too Grainy or Too Blurry.

BMPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Bonjour,

I am somewhat Brand-New to Photography at least in the Digital aspect. bought my First Canon T2i about 3/4 Weeks ago and been trying out some Night Photography. I've been playing around with ISO and Shutter speed to get good Night photos but this has seemed to be a Impossible task for me.. for the following reasons.

1. The Picture is too Grainy when set to a Higher ISO over 800.
  2. The Picture takes to long to take a photo under 25 Shutter SPD
I have tryed to do a equal number of both like setting it to either ISO 600 |Shutter 50 or ISO 800 | Shutter 20... but neither have helped with low light situations...even at dusk I cannot take a photo even tho I can see everything around me clear as day the photo is just TOO dark..and if I set it to anything over ISO 800 it becomes so grainy it's not worth taking... but than if I set a low shutter speed to capture more light it becomes either blurry or can't see anything because of the time it takes to take the photo and me breathing causing it to blur a lot more..

I have attempted to take photos downtown in Houston where there are alot of street lamps and cars...I can see everything just like my smaller older digital camera but as soon as I take a picture with my T2I it cannot see anything...everything is to dark...

so what could be happening?
Any advice or help would be appreciated if you need a demo of what I am talking about I can post a few pictures.

Thanks All,
Take Care & God Bless~
~Nicholas

Ah, the perils of night photography.

Here's some tips:

-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-Buy faster glass. Like f/2 and under.
-Use a tripod
-Get a remote for your camera so you don't have to touch it to take the picture
-And use a tripod

If you're going to take shots of movement at night, you'll need external light sources like an off camera flash, strobes, or static lights.

Here's some tips:

-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-And use a tripod

If you're going to take shots of movement at night, you'll need external light sources like an off camera flash, strobes, or static lights.

Thanks LCarsx32,

how do other people do it than without a tripod or faster glass? my friend has a Nikon pretty much the same as my Camera diff brand and cheaper but is a DLSR and he just points and shoots at Night/Low Light and gets perfect photos without a Tripod....my Tripod is to heavy anyway :(( Plus I'll be moving a lot usually when taking Low Light/Night photography photos so moving a Tripod especially mine...gonna be hectic.

Here's some tips:

-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-And use a tripod

+1, +1

Oh and use a tripod.
Oh and incase this one wasn't covered.
Use a tripod.

Here's some tips:

-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-Use a tripod
-And use a tripod

+1, +1

Oh and use a tripod.
Oh and incase this one wasn't covered.
Use a tripod.

My tripod is made out of all steel except for the handles and mount x_x

weighs between 10 - 20LBS

Yeah it's not move friendly...:-/

how do other people do it than without a tripod or faster glass? my friend has a Nikon pretty much the same as my Camera diff brand and cheaper but is a DLSR and he just points and shoots at Night/Low Light and gets perfect photos without a Tripod....my Tripod is to heavy anyway ( Plus I'll be moving a lot usually when taking Low Light/Night photography photos so moving a Tripod especially mine...gonna be hectic.
There must be something you're missing about your friend's photos.

You can't overcome the physics of it.
If you are shooting at F2.8, ISO 800 and 1/20....then your friend, shooting in the same light, would have to use similar settings (or compensate one for another...higher ISO to get faster shutter speed etc.)

A lens with IS will help.

A faster lens will help.

A tripod will help.

A more expensive camera will help.

Those are your options.

Last edited:
how do other people do it than without a tripod or faster glass? my friend has a Nikon pretty much the same as my Camera diff brand and cheaper but is a DLSR and he just points and shoots at Night/Low Light and gets perfect photos without a Tripod....my Tripod is to heavy anyway ( Plus I'll be moving a lot usually when taking Low Light/Night photography photos so moving a Tripod especially mine...gonna be hectic.
There must be something you're missing about your friend's photos.

You can't overcome the physics of it.
If you are shooting at F2.8, ISO 800 and 1/20....then your friend, shooting in the same light, would have to use similar settings (or compensate one for another...higher ISO to get faster shutter speed etc.)

@Big_Mike; I don't know maybe my Camera is just crap lol
I've never checked his settings...only that he has a crappier DLSR that takes better photos than mine at Night and he doesn't need a Tripod.... Could the F-Stop be the problem I'm having? because I have that setup in the F6.0+ Range.

This may be a stupid question but why on our Expensive DSLR's do we get a Sensor that can't pick up low light but some of theses walmart Cameras Point & Shoot Cameras can.

AdrianC said:
A lens with IS will help.

A faster lens will help.

A tripod will help.

A more expensive camera will help.

Those are your actions.

@AdrianC; I spent 2300$ on the Camera with The Lens as I was taught by my Grandfather and a Couple other Prof Photographers that it Isn't the body of the Camera but the Lenses & Expertise of the Photographer that Makes the Photo...I spent another $3000 on Lens/Filters/Editing Programs. So I'm pretty Tapped out as far as my Credit Line Goes...

Well what camera does he have?

@AdrianC; I spent 2300$ on the Camera with The Lens as I was taught by my Grandfather and a Couple other Prof Photographers that it Isn't the body of the Camera but the Lenses & Expertise of the Photographer that Makes the Photo...I spent another $3000 on Lens/Filters/Editing Programs. So I'm pretty Tapped out as far as my Credit Line Goes...

Sure, but if you want to take difficult photos, you will need more expensive equipment.

Well what camera does he have?

Nikon D40

AdrianC said:
BMPhotography said:
Sure, but if you want to take difficult photos, you will need more expensive equipment.

Yeah, but If I'm just a Beginner doing Beginner DLSR Photography? I'm already spending much into the 5000+$ Range...how high do you need to go to just get a little Night-light in your photos haha

A 20lb tripod is going to feel real light after you see the results of your night photos. You have a great camera.
You can move all around without it, but the results are crappy as you mentioned. Move less, shoot less and use the tripod.

As has been stated, you are missing something in regards to your friend's camera/night photography.

**maybe your friend is telling you he is not using a tripod and he is...jealousy does funny things to people :er:

I don't know about the d40 specifically, but I've heard that Nikons handle higher ISO with less grain, so he may be bumping up the ISO.

I'd go down to your local Walmart and buy a cheapy tripod. Or look at Goodwill or other resale shops. Tripods should weigh less than a few pounds. Mines metal and only weighs 2 lbs.

The other option, for mobility, is to get a monopod. Like it sounds, it only has one leg, but you can keep the camera a lot more still with a monopod vs. hand held.

*EDIT*

In regard to your Father and Grandfather's comment: That was true of film bodies. Not so much with digital. Nikons are known for good ISO range, Canons... not so much (I feel your pain). Even in the same brand, bodies can make a huge difference. I saw someone shoot at ISO 3200 with a Canon 5D and was blown away. It looked like mine does at ISO 200, lol. I try not to venture over ISO 400 if I can help it. Just be glad you don't have a 300D like me!

Tripod, tripod, tripod. You'll never want to be without it again. Believe us.

Last edited:
A 20lb tripod is going to feel real light after you see the results of your night photos. You have a great camera.
You can move all around without it, but the results are crappy as you mentioned. Move less, shoot less and use the tripod.

As has been stated, you are missing something in regards to your friend's camera/night photography.

**maybe your friend is telling you he is not using a tripod and he is...jealousy does funny things to people :er:

I guess I can try lugging it around...as far as missing something...I'll try to inspect his Camera or ask him what I'm doing wrong...or he's doing right..if not I can always resort to my Ninja Skills to look at his Camera.

Do you all have any tips on cool things to shoot maybe at night?

By the way Thanks Everyone!

Off-topic.
anyone here besides me ever get stopped by the cops for taking pictures outside your car window and having the cop think it's a weapon lol x_x

___

LCarsx32 said:
I don't know about the d40 specifically, but I've heard that Nikons handle higher ISO with less grain, so he may be bumping up the ISO.

I'd go down to your local Walmart and buy a cheapy tripod. Or look at Goodwill or other resale shops. Tripods should weigh less than a few pounds. Mines metal and only weighs 2 lbs.

The other option, for mobility, is to get a monopod. Like it sounds, it only has one leg, but you can keep the camera a lot more still with a monopod vs. hand held.

I'll Look into the Monopod..sounds a lot more movable.

Last edited:

Nonsense, you just need more patience and practice. A steadier hand doesn't hurt, either.

If we're talking lenses, that's different; having a lens that can open up to 1.8 or lower is going to help a ton.

Most reactions

Back