Help? Odd lens flare in photo

cmarie87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Needing some help. I have been experiencing this odd lens flare/reflection in images recently and it's quite annoying. Used Canon xsi, 50mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, f/1.8, SS 1/60

I know the lens flare/reflection is of the candles, because the shape is the same as the positioning of the candles on the cake. It only happens when I use the 50mm. I've only had the 50mm about a month now. Can anyone help or offer some advice to make it stop in the future? Thank you :)

$IMG_3517_2.jpg

Looks to me like maybe a UV or haze filter is on the lens, and the flat filter surface is causing flares on the candles. I've encountered this before myself.

Thanks! That's what it was. I just tested a cupcake & candle without the filter on and it's not there anymore. I appreciate the help!

Out of curiosity, why the filter? Grandpa a spitter when he blows out candles? That is the kind of thing that happens when you introduce an unnecessary piece of glass into an unnecessary situation. Glad you got it fixed.

Actually, quite embarrassingly, I just grabbed my camera and left the house without checking what equipment I had. I guess the filter was still on from a prior outing.

This is why I don't use UV filters. Firstly, digital cameras are not sensitive to UV light....and they will always reduce your image quality and or cause problems with flare etc.

Sure, they are used for protection, and that's valid. But I'd rather take 10,000 shots at a higher quality (without the filter) and pay to fix a lens, than shoot those 10,000 images at a lower quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back