Help on a speech about photography...

Kyle-Cox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have to give an informative speech this comming tuesday so i decided to go with photography, but I'm having some trouble getting started and deciding what to talk about. It has to be around 7min, so it can't be too complex, but I'm just wondering about what i could talk about that would keep a classroom full of 19yr olds entertained. Any thoughts or comments at all, please feel free to share, thanks!

19-year-olds... hmmm....

Tell 'em about the all the glamore, wealth and power that photographers enjoy.

OR

Talk about one simple aspect. IE: How a SLR works, or how a digital camera captures an image, or how making photos is similar/dissimalar to another medium.

Good luck!
-Pete

I recently gave a speech on portrait photography for a college class. I broke it out into several sections, composition (rule of thirds, etc), lighting (natural, flash), candid/photojournalistic approach, and a brief talk about digital vs film and suggested items to get started. If you can use visual aids do so. I've used powerpoint to show photos that illustrate my points (i.e. photo with direct flash vs bounced). Good luck!

how about the intrusion of the photgraphic media into famous peoples lives. and the boundaries that are crossed to get the best shot? or how about the rules and ethics of papparazi?

md

MDowdey said:
how about the intrusion of the photgraphic media into famous peoples lives. and the boundaries that are crossed to get the best shot? or how about the rules and ethics of papparazi?

md

Oooooh! Much more exciting than mine was :thumbsup:

yeah, but yours was more informative...so there!!! :lmao:

either the boundaries or digital vs film (I eould choose this second one)

I just did a 5-6 min informative speech on 5 easy to use techniques to taking better pictures, went over very well, look on kodak's site they have some great general info about this type of stuff

First of all, thank you everyone, great ideas! I think I'm now leaning twoards "photography basics." Keeping it simple, entertaining, and informative.

AlisonS said:
I recently gave a speech on portrait photography for a college class. I broke it out into several sections, composition (rule of thirds, etc), lighting (natural, flash), candid/photojournalistic approach, and a brief talk about digital vs film and suggested items to get started. If you can use visual aids do so. I've used powerpoint to show photos that illustrate my points (i.e. photo with direct flash vs bounced). Good luck!

Something like that, just to give my class the basic information of how to take good pictures and what makes a good picture. For your speech, skiboarder72, which specific 5 did you choose, and thanks for the note about checking out the kodak site!

Anyone who has any imput/suggestions that relate more in this general direction for simple and basic photography styles and techniques, please keep replying, all help is greatly appreciated!

how about photography through the ages, and how it started,to how it is now,i'm sure you could compress that into 7 mins, :) that could be quite interesting..

Being 16....umm...I was gonna say it helps me understand...but it dont.

but dont be like most boring people...and keep your voice the same monotone way, vary it...SOUND INTERESTED, sound surprised, SAY JOkes you dont know how much ill listen when I hear a joke or two.
Make sure you dont keep it all just you speaking, if you get my point...visual aids in other words, like Alison mentiond, really helps.

I would also say dont stick with one subject, how to use an SLR is fine, but its too one sided...you wanna make it sound like a course theyve paid for...not ONLY will they learn how to use an SLRbut about different film types...and you will answer the age old question, FILM VS DIGITAL.

Hope this helps mate, and good luck.

P.s. listen to Alisons post, shes got good ideas! :D

Most reactions

Back