HELP on Lens Decision!!!

rp1600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone here have any experience with the Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 EX DC Lens?? I'm look for a lens with roughly the same focal length, but not sure if I want to spend the big bucks for Canon glass.

I currently shoot mainly on location portraits with some studio work. My current lens are 70-200 f/4L, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.8 and a little cheapo canon 35-135 f/3.5.

I'm looking to add a "wider" lens that would serve as a general purpose lense but also could work when in the studio, which gets kinda cramped when shooting with my current lens.

Btw, I currently shoot with a Canon 30D.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

its a very tough decision to make for sure. You've also got the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens, which in everything i've read seems to be slightly better regarded. I just used the Canon 17-55mm last weekend, and while it was nice, I don't think its worth 1000 bucks

I've got no experience with the Sigma lens in question, but I've heard good things about the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS. It's far more expensive, but I don't know if you find the IS worth the difference.

The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is great for the money. I'm sure the Sigma is good, I've just always preferred the feel of Tamron lenses. Personally I'm waiting another couple of months for the Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 (supposedly a Pentina or Toktax) to see how it compares with the Tamron... some early reports mention chromatic aberration issues, but then the Tokina is likely to have the best build... anyway for now the Tamron would be my choice.

exactly which tamron are your referring too. I'm not that familiar with that line and when i google it i get alphabet soup at Tamron 17-50 f / 2.8. In other words, I'm not sure which model is best because there seems to be a couple of versions.

I was referring to this one. Honestly I can never tell with Tamron since they insist on adding things like SP XR Di II LD PhD CIA BBC AC/DC to the end of their lens designations... but I think there's basically one Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, and any variations are likely to be small differences of coating etc.

Can't say for certain, but: A bit more than the Sigma and Tamron, a lot less than the Canon.

The 17-55 F2.8 IS Canon is the best one...but very expensive.

I have the Tamron in question, very nice lens...especially as it's around 1/3 the price of the Canon.

When I bought it...the general consensus was that is was a bit better/sharper than the Sigma...but Sigma has a newer model with 'Macro' in the title...so maybe that one is better...I don't know.

All I can tell you is that I've very happy with the Tamron. It's a bit odd that the focus ring moves when AF is working...but I adjusted to that in about 5 minutes. Also, the focus motor is louder than a Canon USM...not a big deal but it's there.

Absolutely.

Since I got it, I use it for all of my portrait work. The last wedding I shot, I used it 98% of the time.

Big Mike, which model do you have.Seems like there are several version or models out there, i.e. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ..XR Di II LD Aspherical IF AF ... Not familiar with all of these designations so any advise is appreciated.

Most reactions

Back