Help!!! Photo quality is lagging on sites such as Facebook!

Well, I had the same problem for a while. Most of the issue is a result of the photos being resized by Facebook, which uses some type of resizing algorithm that doesn't do a very good job of maintaining sharpness. The best way to prevent this problem is to resize your photos yourself so that Facebook doesn't need to resize them for you.

So, given that, the next obvious question is: "What dimesions do I resize them to?"

Well, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to that question... and here's why. The actual dimensions of a photo on Facebook will vary depending upon the aspect ratio of your image. Images that are 4:3, for instance, will be resized to different dimensions than images that are 8:5 (1.6:1) or 16:9.

So, what you need to do is go onto Facebook, go to a photo you uploaded, and check the dimensions it was resized to. Then, from now on, resize the photos to those dimensions yourself before uploading them. That way, you have the opportunity to do all the resizing yourself, thus bypassing Facebook's bare-bones resizing algorithm. This will also give you the opportunity to add any post-resize sharpening to clean up any degraded edges.

Try compressing your portraits on Photoshop before adding them or just resize them. Once I started doing that my portraits loaded onto the site beautifully.

I had this exact problem, I resized to 720x480 and they looked perfect

If you cant use "save As" to save to jpeg see if there is a selection called "save For Web". This will allow you to save to jpeg.

JG_Coleman's got it right I think.

I have a "facebook resize" action in photoshop that resizes and oversharpens all the photos that I'm uploading to facebook. After they're uploaded, the oversharpening is balanced out by the facebook crapification and all is well with the world. I can give you the settings if you like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back