Help photos blurry!!!

5100d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi
Im new to the DSLR world. I recently bought a Nikon 5100d kit with dx 18-55mm Vr lens.
Im using the camera in the M mode. The problem is when viewed at 100% all zoomed in photos as well as close-up/near/macro photos are super detailed and sharp but all photos of landscapes and distant (still) subjects are sort of blurry and not sharp. I've tried all settings: shutter speeds ranging from 1/400 - 1/1000 and f stops ranging from f5.6 to f18 and higher using tripod etc - the results are disappointing. Basically if the subject is more than a few meters away the image is not that sharp. Autofocus and VR is on and Ive also tried switching between the 11 different focus points, focus mode etc etc. I ran out of ideas. Could it be my new camera came with faulty lens?? Please help!

Could you post a couple of images for analysis? One thing; if you're using a tripod, turn off your VR, as the VR becomes "confused" when the camera isn't moving.

Hi guys thanks! VR if off with Tripod. Im trying to upload images on here for your reference how do i do that?? I dont have the "attach files" option box at the bottom of the message.

Also If I change the sharpness of the photos within the camera options will that increase the noise in the photos?

Use flickr, photobucket or something similar and upload the images there.
Then get the link to the image and post it up here using the Image icon in your post to put the tags around the url.

Sharpness and noise? I dont think so. Although technically if you start to sharpen actual noise in post processing you risk making it more visible, but I think this is beyond what you are looking for.

Can't really say much else without actual images

They look fine to me.

Either, I've seen these exact images before with exactly the same question, or there's a glitch in the Matrix! Anyway, the photos look fine until you crop out the furthest little house in the photo! I don't think I ever crop to something that small in a photo, and something that far in the distance is never going to be as clear as the foreground.

The lens has a role to play here. It is a kit lens you are using, so although the Nikon 18-55 kit lens is pretty good as kit lenses go, it's not top glass, so will never produce perfect clarity. Invest in a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 prime (you can grab the f/1.8 for about £80) - it's a fantastic lens for the price. I'm sure anyone here would recommend it - then take the same photo, you'll notice a huge difference.

Thanks guys! But the zoomed in images are the actual real size of the respective photos @100% . For sure they always look good and sharp when reduced to fit screen but am I not meant to expect a certain level of detail and sharpness when I zoom in to the real photo size?
:)

Solution: Don't pixel peep.

Thanks guys! But the zoomed in images are the actual real size of the respective photos @100% . For sure they always look good and sharp when reduced to fit screen but am I not meant to expect a certain level of detail and sharpness when I zoom in to the real photo size?
:)

Yes. Kind of. But even more than the lens, there are other factors at play such as atmospherics. If it's a warm day, especially on all that concrete heat will distort the air and therefore the clarity of distant objects. There is also haze from moisture in the air and pollution to consider. If you know anyone who's interested in astronomy, ask them about "seeing". They'll tell you about how the atmosphere effects the clarity of the planets, stars and even something as close as the moon.

You'll never get perfect clarity on very distant objects even with the best lenses. That's why they put the Hubble telescope into orbit, there's no atmosphere to clog up the space between the stars and the telescope's mirror.

You'll certainly get improvement with better lenses, but because of the way photos are constructed of pixels, the more distant the object, the fewer the pixels used to make that portion of the picture, therefore you get less detail.

Last edited:
5100d............
When you save your picture to Photobucket, if you move your cursor over the pic you want to post, a small window will open with some choices in it. Move your cursor to the bottom choice (IMG Code) and click on it. That copies the code. Then, here at the forums, click in the Reply Box where you want to post the pic, hold down the Ctrl key and hit the V key. It will paste the code in your Reply Box. When you finish posting, and click on the Reply or Post Quick Reply button, your picture will magically appear in your post.
I hope this helps............ :)

On Photobucket, I copy the 2nd option, the Direct link, then here at TPF i click on the "Image" icon , click URL in the dialog box, paste the Direct link code I got at Photobusket, uncheck the little box, and click OK.

Sp there is more than one way to do it.

Most reactions

Back