Help Picking Lenses

Kentanner11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been planning on buying a 40D and finally have the $$. So far I have been looking at these lenses:
Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens
&
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens
Both costing ~$220
I would like to stay within this price but get what will work best for me.
I have never used any lenses before so I have no clue what the mm or f/ means. I need the most- multi purpose lens as I am just a learning photographer and like to take shots of everything- people in portraits, architecture far away, pets, clouds, pretty much anything. I picked the two above because of the price and bc/ I saw alot of recommendations for the 18-55 as a general purpose lens. Are the two lenses that I picked good for my needs?

Thank-you very much!
~Tanner

Last edited:
For the money, that's probably the best you'll get. Although I haven't used the f/1.8 version of the 50mm (I have the 1.4), it is said to be just as good (optically; build quality is lesser) as the f/1.4.

The "mm" is the focal length. Shorter is wider, longer is, well - longer. The f/# is the maximum aperture of the lens. Generally you want to get the "faster" lenses (lower f/#).
In the case of the 18-55, with two f/ numbers - the first one (f/3.5) is the max aperture at the wide end (18mm) and the second one (f/5.6) is the max aperture at the long end (55mm) of the lens.

mm is range (bigger number, farther zoom)
f/ is aperture (how might light gets let in, how big the lens opens)

the 50mm is a great portrait/walk around lens. Instead of the 18-55 Id go with something like a 55-200 or 70-200 for your outdoor/sports. It doesn't make much sense to get a 50mm and a 18-55 because they overlap each other as far as range goes. I'd save up and get a 55-200 or 70-200 (not sure what canon offers in that focal range)

Thanks for the info!
With that in mind what about these:
~~Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
or
~~Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
Their each less than the 18-55 so im cool getting a different lens but how do I know that they will fit on to the EOS 40D?
Again I just need the most multi-purpose lens...

I really appreciate your help!

For about $400 you can get the Sigma 18-200. This is a great starter lens and has a wide range.

The "best" all around lens is probably the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 HSM. Both are fast, small, light, and have professional optics and build quality. I have seen the Tamron version go used for about $325. I would search craigslist and ebay in wait for a good deal.

I would also stay away from superzooms. Even though the focal range may look appealing, there are major consequences in terms of image quality, and you are better off buying to lenses separately than trying to buy a lens that crams two into one. I would steer clear of the superzoom mentality.

For right now that is a little bit more than I want to spend. I am going on a trip next month so I just need some lenses that can build my "collection" but also be low-cost and very versatile for this upcoming trip.
With anubis404's comment in mind what about this lens Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III Autofocus Lens - Black

in addition to the "nifty 50"
Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens

The 28-90 isn't going to do much more for you than the 18-55 will. Another option would be to look into a fast wide angle prime like a 28mm F2.8. If you're going on a trip, you're going to want something a bit wide. It won't be as wide as your 18-55, but it will have superior speed and optical quality.

Would this lens be close to what you are talking about?
Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Compact High Speed Zoom Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

I think you should go with the two you initially mentioned. I have both lenses. I also purchased the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 sometime after. Then when my photography progressed i replaced my 18-55mm with the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 and replaced the sigma zoom with a canon 70-200 f/4.

I think the two lenses you mentioned first are ideal for learning. They give sufficient range to get a taste for landscape to portrait photography. The 50mm prime will also show you all the advantages of prime lenses in terms of image quality in comparison with zooms and it will also allow you to learn the full value and scope that aperture plays in photography. They are both also cheap meaning when you do come to upgrade lenses you wont feel you wasted a cent. As a matter of fact i would say you will prob never get rid of the nifty fifty. It is a legend of a lens.

If you were only going to go with one lens i would go for the nifty fifty.

Would this lens be close to what you are talking about?
Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Compact High Speed Zoom Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

No, thats a zoom lens. I was talking about the Canon prime lens. Although, that Sigma does look good.

I really appreciate everyones' help with this, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing, but I guess that is pretty obvious. lol
Right now I am set on the nifty fifty- aka Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens

and torn between
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens
or
-Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

They are both in stock on BH photo and the $10 difference will not break the bank.. just looking for the best one for my needs, at this time...

Again I really appreciate the help on this forum, with out it I would be forever lost!

I think you should go with the two you initially mentioned. I have both lenses. I also purchased the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 sometime after. Then when my photography progressed i replaced my 18-55mm with the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 and replaced the sigma zoom with a canon 70-200 f/4.

I think the two lenses you mentioned first are ideal for learning. They give sufficient range to get a taste for landscape to portrait photography. The 50mm prime will also show you all the advantages of prime lenses in terms of image quality in comparison with zooms and it will also allow you to learn the full value and scope that aperture plays in photography. They are both also cheap meaning when you do come to upgrade lenses you wont feel you wasted a cent. As a matter of fact i would say you will prob never get rid of the nifty fifty. It is a legend of a lens.

If you were only going to go with one lens i would go for the nifty fifty.

I misinterpreted the post, I though the OP already had the two lenses mentioned ("So far I have:..."). In that case, its all whether you want versatility or quality. A combination of a 28mm F2.8 and a 50mm F2.8 are professional quality lenses and very fast, however they are not very versatile. The 18-55 is a slow, plastic, beginner lens that you will soon grow out of if you are serious about photography, however it does not require much lens switching and goes wider than 28mm. You must decide what is more important to you.

I misinterpreted the post, I though the OP already had the two lenses mentioned ("So far I have:..."). In that case, its all whether you want versatility or quality. A combination of a 28mm F2.8 and a 50mm F2.8 are professional quality lenses and very fast, however they are not very versatile. The 18-55 is a slow, plastic, beginner lens that you will soon grow out of if you are serious about photography, however it does not require much lens switching and goes wider than 28mm. You must decide what is more important to you.

Sorry about that.. I wasnt clear on what I meant...

Right now it is more about versatility, as I haven't settled on a specific type of photography, nor do I have any preferences on brands, styles, etc. that come with experience...

With that in mind would I be missing more without anything below the nifty fifty, and skipping the 51-69mm if I went with the Sigma 70-300 or would I be missing more If I didnt have anything above 55mm if I went with the Canon 18-55mm?

Or- should I skip buying the nifty fifty for now, pay the extra $40 and get both the Canon 18-55, and the Sigma 70-300?

Again everyone's help is amazing!

Last edited:
Ok- So here is what I am *almost* set on:

-Canon "Nifty Fifty"- Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens
-Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
-Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

After seeing this which gives a visual representation of the different mm effects I realized that I really do need both extremes of the mm spectrum.. plus I can acquire a taste of 3 different brands of lenses, and one "normal" lens...
I guess I should have mentioned that I was going to Washington D.C. so I really do need the lower end to get full monuments, and (being weird as I am) the higher mm to zoom in freakishly close on whatever I want.. ie Lincolns Face

Most reactions

Back