help please :)

immafreebeetch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
guys can you please help me to improve my photography? I really wanna learn what is right and wrong. what should be and not. any response will be appreciated just be kind please :p here I'll be putting random photos I took. I'm just a pure beginner and I'm using Nikon D3000 with kit lens 18-55mm.

1. _DSC2890 by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

_DSC2888 by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

_DSC2798 by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

_DSC2797 by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

without filter by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

with cpl 3 by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

Try fill flash on the first two shots. Get some lighting on that face :)

First and foremost is your monitor calibrated? I am guessing not because these are consistently dark. Until you are calibrated you can't see what your images ACTUALLY look like. Your colors and exposures will always be off and we really can't help you much there.
Monitors straight out of the box are set up for internet and gaming use. They are very bright, slightly blue and a bit heavy on the contrast for that reason. For photography it will make you think your images are properly exposed or over-exposed when they are not. It will also make you think that your white balance is very cool when in fact it's very warm/orangey.
the shots of the girl are very warm/orangey and are underexposed. Because you were shooting against the open sky and not in the shade you'd need to use fill flash or a reflector here to get enough light in her face to keep both the face and the background in good exposure. The positioning shows that you are trying to give good consideration to the guidelines for composition. It's not well done in the first one. The key to using the ROT is to make sure that the image also balances and makes sense. In the first she's just pushed off the edge of the image and the negative space to our left is just negative space-it has no real bearing on the image. It should be part of your story such as the girl looking that way or tilted slightly that way to lead into that negative space with some meaning. Is she talking on the phone and plugging the other ear? I like the hands up by the face, but the positioning and angle of the arms is awkward. The second is definitely better for leading into the dead space. The crop on the dog tag is a draw. As a whole there isn't any reason you couldn't crop her at the shoulders like that, however that bright spot then draws your eye there. The head tilt is really awkward in this one.
3 is not sharply focused at any point and almost looks like motion blur.
4. it's nicely focused with a better DOF than 3. The composition is pretty boring. With macro's like this you want to find a way to see the flower at a different angle than head on. Or in this case you could have used the stem as a leading line to pull your eye through the photo if it had been placed across the image instead of straight up from the bottom. A portrait crop would work better.
5 and 6 are something everyone should play about with. Clouds can be amazing and beautiful, peaceful, scary... They can evoke almost any emotion. These don't so much evoke an emotion, but they're pretty well exposed and focused. The second has the makings of leading lines, except it goes straight through from the bottom to the top instead of leading you around the image. The second is really heavy on the contrast.

They are a great start with huge potential in them. You are definitely on the right track.

dxqcanada said:
First ... what are your opinions on these images ?

First, I really find it hard to photograph my friend as he (he's a ladyboy :p) is quite feeling awkward when we're doing to shoot because of the kids that are surrounding us.

2nd with the 2 images of the plants honestly I'm quite unconfident. :(

3rd with the skies it was taken on a snap right where i stand when shooting my friend. So I didn't really realized and missed a lot to consider with that.

What do you think of the photos? What do you like and what don't you like? If you want to become a better photographer take 1 million photos. Nothing less than that... and then you will be a better photographer.

MLeeK said:
First and foremost is your monitor calibrated? I am guessing not because these are consistently dark. Until you are calibrated you can't see what your images ACTUALLY look like. Your colors and exposures will always be off and we really can't help you much there.
Monitors straight out of the box are set up for internet and gaming use. They are very bright, slightly blue and a bit heavy on the contrast for that reason. For photography it will make you think your images are properly exposed or over-exposed when they are not. It will also make you think that your white balance is very cool when in fact it's very warm/orangey.
the shots of the girl are very warm/orangey and are underexposed. Because you were shooting against the open sky and not in the shade you'd need to use fill flash or a reflector here to get enough light in her face to keep both the face and the background in good exposure. The positioning shows that you are trying to give good consideration to the guidelines for composition. It's not well done in the first one. The key to using the ROT is to make sure that the image also balances and makes sense. In the first she's just pushed off the edge of the image and the negative space to our left is just negative space-it has no real bearing on the image. It should be part of your story such as the girl looking that way or tilted slightly that way to lead into that negative space with some meaning. Is she talking on the phone and plugging the other ear? I like the hands up by the face, but the positioning and angle of the arms is awkward. The second is definitely better for leading into the dead space. The crop on the dog tag is a draw. As a whole there isn't any reason you couldn't crop her at the shoulders like that, however that bright spot then draws your eye there. The head tilt is really awkward in this one.
4. it's nicely focused with a better DOF than 3. The composition is pretty boring. With macro's like this you want to find a way to see the flower at a different angle than head on. Or in this case you could have used the stem as a leading line to pull your eye through the photo if it had been placed across the image instead of straight up from the bottom. A portrait crop would work better.
5 and 6 are something everyone should play about with. Clouds can be amazing and beautiful, peaceful, scary... They can evoke almost any emotion. These don't so much evoke an emotion, but they're pretty well exposed and focused. The second has the makings of leading lines, except it goes straight through from the bottom to the top instead of leading you around the image. The second is really heavy on the contrast.

They are a great start with huge potential in them. You are definitely on the right track.

Thanks sir for your detailed cc. That is a whole bunch of info I need to consider but first I would like to ask how to calibrate my monitor? Are you pertaining to my computer's or the camera's?

The last image of the sky I thought it would give quite some effect of increasing it's contrast. I personally liked it but then as you say, now I am thinking that may be I increased it too much.

Thanks a lot :)

You should try to get an environment where your model is comfortable ... and as you have seen it comes out in the photo.
Also, pay attention to what else is in the photo ... photographers get tunnel vision, so look at all parts of the scene in the viewfinder and make sure it fits with your primary subject.

jaicatalano said:
What do you think of the photos? What do you like and what don't you like? If you want to become a better photographer take 1 million photos. Nothing less than that... and then you will be a better photographer.

Honestly I am quite unsure of them that's why I want some technical and professional advices from TPF :)

LoL i'm literally taking 1M photos in my mind :p Thanks sir.

dxqcanada said:
You should try to get an environment where your model is comfortable ... and as you have seen it comes out in the photo.
Also, pay attention to what else is in the photo ... photographers get tunnel vision, so look at all parts of the scene in the viewfinder and make sure it fits with your primary subject.

Thanks and I will definitely take your advice :)
I found and old junk bus just this afternoon and I'm planning to shoot there this weekend. I kinda want it to be a bit funky and couture-like. So sir can you give me an advice or idea to make it look good?

MLeeK said:

Thanks sir for your detailed cc. That is a whole bunch of info I need to consider but first I would like to ask how to calibrate my monitor? Are you pertaining to my computer's or the camera's?

The last image of the sky I thought it would give quite some effect of increasing it's contrast. I personally liked it but then as you say, now I am thinking that may be I increased it too much.

Thanks a lot :)

You need a calibrator and software to calibrate your computer's monitor. What you see on your monitor is not what we see and it is not what will come out in print. It is really nowhere near a true representation of the image without calibration. Any critique we give you is kind of useless until you calibrate. Sorry!
Datacolor Spyder3Express Color Calibration System DC S3X100 B&H

Most reactions

Back