Help Please

lrjenkins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a total ametuaer that enjoystaking pictures of all my kids and their friends. My friends asked meto come to the airport tonight and photograph their family as theyreturn to the US from adopting a child. This is such an importantevent and I don't want to mess it up. However, I just got a new lensI am still learning to use.

I have a Canon T2i with a fixed 50 mm1.4 – can anyone recommend settings for me to use for good photos.I will be inside the airport at night.

Thank you in advance!!!

Mully said:
Maybe some Cannon "guys" will be nice and come along and give you an answer

Probably something like ISO 800, f/2 - 2.5 and 1/60s. If you need to, use ISO 1600 to achieve a faster shutter speed

Since I am still an amateur, I would recommend that you take several shots with different settings, it will certainly help you decide what worked best, I did that a lot in the beginning and it has been helpful

check your histogram after each shot, it is a good way to see if you are ok.

ISO 800, AV mode @ f4 to keep everyone in focus and adjust your exposure compensation from there. If need be, go ahead and bump ISO up another notch, just be ready to deal with the noise in the images which should not be too bad if the exposure is correct not needing to be lightened in PP.

Tony S said:
ISO 800, AV mode @ f4 to keep everyone in focus and adjust your exposure compensation from there. If need be, go ahead and bump ISO up another notch, just be ready to deal with the noise in the images which should not be too bad if the exposure is correct not needing to be lightened in PP.

F/4, iso800, indoors, at night? All while trying to maintain a 1/60s shutter? I hope it's a bright airport.

If you shoot in manual, you can use your meter and a little common sense. If possible, try to keep your shutter speed above 1/80th ...so you won't get motion blur and if possible, your aperture at least 2.5 or higher ...so you won't have to be dead on with your focus. That leaves your ISO. If you can get away with 1600 or less you should be in pretty good shape. If you have enough available light for settings in this neighborhood you'll be able to just fire away, chimping at your screen to check your exposure. If you have an external flash, bouncing it against a white ceiling if available will help if you have dim or bad lighting, of course you'll have to wait for it to recycle between shots. Practice in your living room first.

Most reactions

Back