help please

Nannii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hii
I'm new here and i just need some help and or opinions

I'm a high school student trying to get my portfolio started for collage.
I’m want to purchase a D70, the problem I’m having is I cant decide on the lens that is within my budget

I would like to purchase both for around 1,000.
I'm just trying to find a lens that is versatile

does anyone have any suggestions or anything
it be a lot of help

Thank you:heart:

The D-70 kit that B&H sells with an 18-70 lens is in your price range. Not knowing what you want to shoot makes it hard to say pick this one or that.

I have a Nikon 18-70 and I use it a lot. Good for people, landscapes, etc. If you want to shoot birds, animals, or such you might want to consider a telephoto zoom but it's hard when you limit your budget to $1,000 total.

I use the 18-70 & 80-400 VR more than anything else. Nikon makes cheaper telephoto zooms but I would save my money and get a good one.

Hi Nannii, I know a lot of us would like to help, but not knowing from your obit where you are from, we don't know if 1000 is 1000 rupees, 1000 U.S. dollars or 1000 shishkabars. If it's Aussie $ Fredcwdoc has given you good advice, and he/she should know, coming from Australia. By the way, "Fredcwdoc" is that you in you thumbnail ???

well at the moment i live in the U.S.

And i was hoping to get a good lence that i can go from shooting buildings to people. Id like a lens with a good zoom.

and if anyone can tell me of a good macro lense that be great too!

Phillip my wife has called me an old goat more than once but no, that's not me.

I still think the 18-70 would suit you fine. When you say macro, once again you cover some ground. I would go to a photo website or shop, look at some of the lens they sell, and then figure out a firm price you are willing to pay, then go from there. My last 105 macro ran just under $600. With your budget you are limited.

Well this is more of a question...

I found a Nikon D70 package that is within my price range

The question I have is, would the 18-70 be better then the 28-300 lens
if I shooting mostly buildings and people, which one is more versatile is once again the question.

A Shift-Lens
Nikon_Nikon_35_2_8_PC_Nikkor_Tilt_Shift_Lens_AIS_IMP_SLR_Lens_1025nasi-resized80.jpg
is really the tool for photographing buildings.
They are expensive..and do they make one compatible with Nikon
DSLRs ?..
'gaw blimey gov, you can make your own ..' ;)
http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/tilt-shift-pc-lens.htm

Ooo wow
thats great that would help out a lot
Thank you !!

A real shift lens for the Nikon runs $1200 give or take a few dollars.

I think you need to find someone in your area who has a camera and lens set up you like and take it out and try it. That's the best way to see what you really want.

I concur with the advice about the Nikon kit lens with the D70. A fine lens, in fact, one of the better kit lenses for any camera. I made many fine images with it and sold many, though I've moved to the D200 and using other lenses with it.

I also shoot architecture and would caution you on thinking about a shift lens. They are great BUT have a couple of drawbacks. They are not zoom lenses to begin with so keep that in mind; also with the Nikon sensor on the D70, what was created as a wide angle shift lens is now barely a wide angle at all so it's usefulness for some architecture is much reduced; and finally, you can do a very good job in Photoshop correcting for distortion and by knowing good techinque to use without a shift lens.

For macro, you might try the Nikon T lens filters which are the best closeup filters and far less expensive than a real macro. I have not tried them on digital cameras, though. Also, you can likely find a non-Nikon macro for much less cost than the Nikon. They aren't always (or even often) as good, but unless you are blowing up to very large size and expect to sell them, you may be satisfied at least for a good while with one of these "third party lenses."

Good luck, from Sedona,

Richard Daley

Thank you all soo much,
you guys helped a lot

Nannii said:
Well this is more of a question...

I found a Nikon D70 package that is within my price range

The question I have is, would the 18-70 be better then the 28-300 lens
if I shooting mostly buildings and people, which one is more versatile is once again the question.

The 18-70 is by far the better lens for people and buildings here. 28-300 is a range which is IMO too ambitious for one lens - you're going to find that it will most likely be soft at both ends and not let enough light in.

Also, buildings generally you want to be in the 20-50mm area. People come out best with a lens about 50-80mm (on this size sensor).

Don't bother with a TS lens until you know exactly what you're doing. They're usually very expensive and are a bit complicated for when you're starting out. Also, perspective control is one of the marvellous features available in Photoshop - buy a copy of that instead!!

Rob

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you all
I got a chance to test of the D70 with the 18-70 mm and i found i like it a lot .. so im going to get my hand on that plus a nikon 50mm F1.8 D

and once again
Thank you !

Most reactions

Back