HELP! Projected Images!

bapp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi folks I am looking for some help.

Has anyone shot studio portraiture whilst using a projector. What I mean is, projected an image onto the subject and them photographed the result.

I am currently doing this as a part of a project and I was just wondering is there anyway to shoot it without a obvious shadow being created behind the subject?

Like below:

2180741417_61bf8f1a0e.jpg

The projected image is the only light source as any other light will destroy the projected image!!

Any help would be really appreciated as the deadline is approaching!!!

If you project down on the subject, you may be able to avoid capturing the shadow in the shot

Move the subject farther away from the background and aim the projector downward as mentioned.

We used to do a variation of this before the days of greenscreen. It was called front projection. Here is the Wikipedia article on it. If you used a plain screen instead of a beaded screen, and didn't use any other light you would see the image projected onto the person, with no shadow.

Is that what you are looking for? Do you want more information?

The other way would be to do a composite of two images, one with the person (A) and one without (B). Use B to replace the shadow in A. That would be quite an easy comp to do by analogue methods.

The problem with moving the screen too far from the person would be focus of the projected image. You could make an aperture stop for the projector lens to increase the DoF of the projected image.

Best,
Helen

We used to do a variation of this before the days of greenscreen. It was called front projection. Here is the Wikipedia article on it. If you used a plain screen instead of a beaded screen, and didn't use any other light you would see the image projected onto the person, with no shadow.

Yeh this was the original intention, but I found it to look a little to obscure as I want it to be obvious what the object is.

I will have a go and projecting downwards tomorrow.

What did you mean by a plain screen instead of a beaded screen???

Thanks. B

Most reactions

Back