Help/rate

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need some tips on how to edit this photo in photoshop. Also tips on how to get a better shot next time. I used M Mode (forget what its called). I'm also some what new to photography and only know a bit about f stop, apriture etc.

Shutter Speed: 1/1000 second
F Number: F/5.0
Focal Length: 61 mm
ISO Speed: 80

thelines.jpg

if you are new to photography.....DO NOT use M mode....use aperture priority or shutter priority...or even program mode....that way the exposure settings are taken care of by the camera's built-in meter....i assume you are using a digital camera.....you only use M mode when the camera's built-in light meter doesnt yield the exposure effect you try to obtain...and using this mode requires understanding of exposure

if you are new.....you might want to buy a book on exposure and understand how it works.....books by john hedgecoe are excellent as i heard

Using M (manual) is good for learning...but if the shot is not how you want it, you should change the settings and re-shoot. You still need to use the camera meter to get close (or some method of metering)

This shot is overexposed (too bright). If that's how you wanted it, that's fine...there really isn't a right or wrong. To get a more representative exposure, you would need to either use a faster shutter speed or a smaller aperture (higher F number).

M = all manual. Learn basic things b4 u move to this.
Its over exposed, and I don't like how the first telephone pole is not compleatly vertical.
P.s it also seems out of focus

if you are new to photography.....DO NOT use M mode....use aperture priority or shutter priority...or even program mode....that way the exposure settings are taken care of by the camera's built-in meter....i assume you are using a digital camera.....you only use M mode when the camera's built-in light meter doesnt yield the exposure effect you try to obtain...and using this mode requires understanding of exposure

if you are new.....you might want to buy a book on exposure and understand how it works.....books by john hedgecoe are excellent as i heard

How's he going to learn how to expose if he doesn't do it himself? Books help, but he needs to learn on his camera.

I also disagree with your theory of "only using manual mode when the camera doesn't yeild the exposure you want to obtain." There are so many artistic choices regarding aperature, DOF, and shutter speed that can't be achieved in auto. Unless you're doing photojournalism and you have to get the shot quickly, you should always be in manual. Auto takes the art out of photography. Its the difference between a snapshot, and a work of art.

^imo

*looks at exif data*

ok...so youre working with a bridge camera. manual isnt horribly terrifying, but at the same time, theres nothing wrong with using aperture priority or shutter priority (or even full auto) if youre unsure about settings for a scene. however, if you know about f stops and how they affect depth of field, id say you are already on the right track

In this picture, i think the overexposure adds to it since its snow and sky. it looks pretty good, but the white balance (WB) looks like its a bit off. try going into curves on PS and adjusting the color so its a bit richer. in selective color, you might want to turn down the yellow. i can show you what i mean if you dont mind

other than the color, i wouldnt change anything about this picture. i like how the mountains meet with the powerlines

How's he going to learn how to expose if he doesn't do it himself? Books help, but he needs to learn on his camera.

I also disagree with your theory of "only using manual mode when the camera doesn't yeild the exposure you want to obtain." There are so many artistic choices regarding aperature, DOF, and shutter speed that can't be achieved in auto. Unless you're doing photojournalism and you have to get the shot quickly, you should always be in manual. Auto takes the art out of photography. Its the difference between a snapshot, and a work of art.

^imo

but playing with the camera only.....yes.....he would get intuitive understand of what "numbers" he need to get a good exposure...but he would not necessary understand what those numbers affect the appearance of the image.....as well as how the numbers are interelated......by blinding playing with the M mode......i dont think it is helping.....not without any foundamental understanding of the settings

other than manual and automatic....there are modes call aperture priority and shutter priority...as well as program modes....those are not automatic(nor manual)......they let you do things quicker......by using manual and reading the camera meter at the same time....you can get the job done by using other semi-manual mode but quicker...and it is NOT the same as automatic....these modes allows you to get all the artistic style you like but at the same time save you time by doing the calculation for you automatically (no need to look at the internal light meter and adjust aperture and shutter speed to obtain proper exposure)

to my degree of understanding.....you only use manual when you are not following your camera's light meter and want to do something creative (or when you use a separate light meter)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back