Help!!!! RAW Files are grainy when saved to JPEG

daverica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What am I doing wrong?? I edited my RAW files and re saved to jpeg but now they look grainy. What am I doing wrong. $_DSC0845.jpg

And the file size is huge. 10 mb. Please help Thanks

I would guess the issue is in your "editing" of your raw. You might have to explain what you do when you say "I edited my raw file" might help folks to help you.

also, did you crop in on that image you posted or is that "as shot", other than raw editing.

No it is as shot. I brought the RAW file up in the Photoshop RAW editor. Adjusted the WB, vibrance and saturation. I then brought it into Photoshop still as a RAW file and fixed some scars. Once I was done reserved as a jpeg. Did I do something wrong?

What was the shot data for the image? What ISO did you use?

Next set of questions would be what are you shooting with, what settings you are using. It does not sound like you did anything drastic to cause noise based on what you stated.

also, are you shooting straight raw or raw + jpg? if you shoot raw + jpg, does the cameras jpg on same image come out the same way?

after those questions are answered, I would think that's enough for you to get some advice and help.

Are you running any high-ISO noise reduction?

Noisy JPEGS are bigger than smot noisy JPEGS, so that explains the size problem. Judging by the light and color quality, I'm just guessing it may be under exposed.

Next set of questions would be what are you shooting with, what settings you are using. It does not sound like you did anything drastic to cause noise based on what you stated.

also, are you shooting straight raw or raw + jpg? if you shoot raw + jpg, does the cameras jpg on same image come out the same way?

after those questions are answered, I would think that's enough for you to get some advice and help.

Ok I shot in Manual mode shutter 1/400, f5.6. Yes I shot RAW + Jpeg. The jpegs are not grainy. I am uploading the jpeg so you can see the difference and another I shot in B&W.

$_DSC0845.jpg
$_DSC0835.jpg

Regarding the JPEG file size, what quality setting did you save the JPEG at?

When shooting Raw + JPEG, the JPEGs are edited in the camera before they are shown to you.

FWIW, it's just Raw instead of RAW. JPEG is an acronym for the Joint Photographic Experts Group file type, like TIFF is the acronym for Tagged Image Format File.

There are over 100 Raw file types, Like Nikon's NEF (Nikon Electronic File) or Canon's CR2 (Canon Raw 2) CRW and CAP (Canon loves names). Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FWIW, it's just Raw instead of RAW.

For what it's further worth, it's raw instead of Raw. The word just means "uncooked": raw meat, raw vegetables, raw files. No capital-R.

FWIW, it's 'unprocessed' instead of 'uncooked'. I don't cook my images, I process them. I really wouldn't like my images with salt, vegetable oil, eggs, flour, vanilla,......

I brought the RAW file up in the Photoshop RAW editor. Adjusted the WB, vibrance and saturation. I then brought it into Photoshop still as a RAW file and fixed some scars. Once I was done reserved as a jpeg. Did I do something wrong?

My guess is it's luminance noise from underexposure. The jpeg from the camera is definitely underexposed. And I'm guessing your ISO was north of 100? If you could link to the raw file, that would be the best way to tell what's what.

So if its underexposed in the raw file. This is not something I can fix in post????

[nerd]more precisely, the amount of noise relative to the amount of data is greater. The noise is always there, and is constant. It's how much signal there is that changes.[/nerd]

Most reactions

Back