Help: Recording Kit for DSLR

jonsalty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

So I own a Pentax K500, which has done all I wanted apart from until 1 week ago when I realised I can't connect a microphone to it.
I'd like to do a bit of videography for my company for marketing material.
-Record my dancers at events
-Interviews with them etc.

What do I need to ensure the sound quality is sufficient?

I imagined I want a clip on microphone for interview type situations and a larger one for recording events.

Budget wise: £100-£300 I guess.

Does anyone have any recommendations or can tell me what I need to type into Google to find what I need. There's some really expensive kit around which I don't think I will utilise. I'm after something relatively simple that in post processing I can add the sound to the footage and that's about it.

Any help or experience would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jon

Lavalier wireless mic is the way to go.

I used to be a sound guy for serious shooting, like for my living.
omg im so cool
262861_10150408943367995_3665704_n.jpg

But A basic kit that would fit your needs

Wireless mic : This one
Recorder : this one

Boom + mic : This one
Or
Boom on cam : This one
Or
Just the zoom mic on cam, leave 1 channel to the zoom mic.

If its out of your budget cancel the boom + mic and take the boom on cam, cause 95% of the time I hope you will mic your dancer with the lav mic. They mostly always sound better than the boom, boom is good to get general sound or with many people talking in the shot, and you need someone who can boom correctly .... You know .... and with these type of boom the sound will mostly suck, you need a 1k shotgun to start to get a sound that will match your lavalier.

So buy the wireless mic, recorder and that cheap but still better than the cam mic boom on cam for the general sound ( dancers foot on the floor .. )

Now your gonna tell me, OMG can I just buy something cheaper, I will say no. Thats like the most professional basic kit that you could have, I mean you dont even have a mixer or anything ... Its still pretty cheap if you ask me and far from my acceptable minimum for any serious shooting.

Since its for << I'd like to do a bit of videography for my company for marketing material. >>

You know what we say in the sound world, audio cost as much as the video, but nobody wants to pay for sound until they realize its not there or that it just sucks. We are used to hear good sound, good sound dont stand out, only poor sound does.

Last edited:
Hi Julien,

Thank you for your expert feedback. You have covered all bases which is excellent.
You are very right when I say "that's too expensive" but I can absolutely see why that is the base standard.
I work in presenting live and recorded, and I always say you don't know you've got a good presenter until you have a bad one. Which is the same for sound.
I will probably buy the wireless mic kit as this is what I will use most for interview situations. (Or would you recommend using a boom mic for close contact for let's say a 2 person interview to camera?
I can always rent the additional pro stuff if required. I won't be using this kit too often so that may be financially effecient.

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Jon

I would buy the wireless and zoom kit.

You could rent all the extra mic boom or second wireless on demand.

Its good to rent a boom, check if you can afford someone to boom it and how it fits your shooting style, remember also that a boom without a mixer .... Not a great set-up .... Even with the zoom, its a recorder not a mixer.

The wireless lav will produce a better sound since it will be more close to the subject, the gain ajust remain the same since the distance dosent change ...

Actually in m'y city they rent this exact wireless fort 25 a day and the recorder for 20 ... So its below 50$

Most reactions

New Topics

Back