Help required

mrwardoser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
We are an online fashion retailer looking for a professional photographer to spend a day with our current team to give advice on how to improve our current portrait shots of models and product shots for our online shop.

We are looking for someone with extensive knowledge and experience to come to our studio in Norwich, review our current equipment, advise us on any additional equipment we may need and go through how to achieve the results we are looking for. We are based around 2 miles away from Warehouse Express so any equipment we would need we could get during the day.

We currently use three Bowens lights – two facing a white backdrop and one soft box over the subject. We have a Cannon E40S, light meter and flash triggers.

You will need to pay for your own travel to Norwich and we are located within 0.5 miles from the train station.

Please reply to [email protected] with your day rate, your availability over the next month and as many samples you have of portrait and fashion work.

Sounds like a great deal, I'll pop out and buy my ticket now. Having spent years on a photography degree, buying thousands of pounds worth of gear, keeping pace with digital upgrades etc etc I'm now invited to quickly instruct the "team" in how to light clothing/models/whatever so they can do the job I trained for, three words, f**k right off. H

I think you may be being a little harsh Harry. its not like were asking for free information. Were a local company looking to improve our photographs. They are actually at a fairly high standard but we are just looking for help to take them to the next level...

We are happy to pay someone a day rate which they specify for this advice - so if you have trained for five years then surely that will show in your day rate. You could have charged £400 for example...

Were not trying to steal photographers work/jobs - just looking for advice...

Sorry of our post has offended you

Would you have considered asking a similar question if the medium were film, I doubt it, and £400 is too low for day rate plus a day is simply insufficient time to teach the ins and outs of studio photography/lighting. If you want professional results, hire a professional. I certainly won't be making either my family's or my own clothing in the near future and I doubt your customers will either so don't cheap out on marketing/advertising/photography just because you see the piccy on the back of the box now. H

Harry is right. If your photos aren't where you want them - quality-wise, you need to either fire your current photographer and hire a better one, or send your photographers off for more extensive training. One day will get you nowhere. And anyone willing to come in for a day probably just wants some money and won't be as good a photographer as you need. No really good fashion photographer needs your one day of pay.

Most reactions

Back