HELP! SDHC Card. My Nikon Camera says: Card is not Formatted. Format the Card. The card has pictures

She's just deliberating on whether it's worth $40 or not.

But has she tried any other freeware besides Recuva, like the MjM that's been suggested?
Apparently at least the online Sandisk stuff ... which is free but doesn't actually recover it.
who knows, except her about anything else

If I format the card in the 6D, will I still be able to use it in the point and shoot?
I don't know why you wouldn't format the card for the camera in which it is being used. It is fast and simple to do, and probably will minimize any errors.
Because sometimes I need another card quickly. If I run out of space on the card in the 6D I take the card out of the point and shoot and stick it in the 6D. This usually only happens on vacation.

So the question remains: If I format the card in the 6D can I still use it in the point and shoot?

If I format the card in the 6D, will I still be able to use it in the point and shoot?
I don't know why you wouldn't format the card for the camera in which it is being used. It is fast and simple to do, and probably will minimize any errors.
Because sometimes I need another card quickly. If I run out of space on the card in the 6D I take the card out of the point and shoot and stick it in the 6D. This usually only happens on vacation.

So the question remains: If I format the card in the 6D can I still use it in the point and shoot?
Try it and find out ??
no one would really know unless they had both the same cameras

I used a SD card between my d600, d7000 and coolpix pocket camera L100 (something) and it worked in the past.

I used a SD card between my d600, d7000 and coolpix pocket camera L100 (something) and it worked in the past.

I can use cards between my D600s, D7100 and P7100 with no reformat needed.

Each camera creates it's own subdirectory to save the files to, but it does that automatically.

Try it and find out ??

Ok so maybe I'm just stupid and missing something here. If you can use your SD card with all your cameras after formatting (and before formatting), what is the purpose of formatting.

Try it and find out ??

Ok so maybe I'm just stupid and missing something here. If you can use your SD card with all your cameras after formatting (and before formatting), what is the purpose of formatting.
The card may go whacko after a while. The formatting keeps it "fresh"

now i'm curious if my card went whacko after I had it in the L100 camera ... it's been a long time.

Since that time I bought new SD cards so the L100 has it's own SD card now.

Try it and find out ??

The card may go whacko after a while. The formatting keeps it "fresh"

now i'm curious if my card went whacko after I had it in the L100 camera ... it's been a long time.

Since that time I bought new SD cards so the L100 has it's own SD card now.
Thank you. I think I understand now.
I always buy new cards for each trip and anything else that's important to me. Maybe that's why I've never had a problem.

Quickie file school:
There is an index and there is a file storage area. You put a file(picture, doc whatever) in the storage area and note in the index it uses from spot 1 to 62, then you put another file in and note that uses 63 to 106, etc. as you add files. When you delete the second file the system just changes the first letter of the index entry to a symbol and that frees up spaces 63 to 106 for another use. This process goes on and on as you use the memory card or Hard drive. It gets messy and files start to get broken apart to fill in empty spaces.
When you do a FORMAT however all of that clutter is wiped clean and a new empty index is made so that the miss-mash can start over again.
Software that recovers deleted files just looks for the changed first character in the index and changes it back. IF the memory, in this case 63 to 106, has not been used in the mean time, then the file is recovered.

Total recovery software looks at each and every sector of the memory.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back