HELP! Senior Night!!!

MichaelMigz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey TPF! Im in a pickle... This coming up Thursday is senior night at my high school. The senior girls on the lacrosse team will be receiving flowers from their family. I need to take pictures of each girl receiving the flowers. NOW THE POSSIBLE PROBLEM!!! Tthis will all occur around dusk. I shoot an F100 and have a sunpak flash. HOWEVER I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH USING A FLASH. I use a 50 mm 1.8 fixed lens. Does anyone have any advice that will help me out?? Any film suggestions? digital isnt an option here. seeing as i dont have a digital camera or one available.... ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS TPF!:wink:

Set the camera to the manual setting... Set the camera's settings up before it all starts happening.
Since you're shooting film, I would suggest you use a faster film speed.
I would also suggest having a backup body ready with another roll of film in it.(if you have one) That way when you run out of film you can switch your lens over and you're back in business.
Also, remember to take two shots of each girl. :thumbup:

That's what I would do.

If you really wanted to be on the safe side, go for a test shot beforehand. Bring a friend along, and a notebook, try out many different settings and write each down. By Thursday your film should be developed and it will be a much less stressful event. Other than that, just follow LittleMan's advice and all should go well.

Good luck, and good on you for taking this 'job', I am sure their families will appreciate it.

Thanks so much guys!!! But also, what would you recommend i expose for?? obviously not the background correct? im thinking that i should expose for the girls/families faces. is this correct??

MichaelMigz said:
Thanks so much guys!!! But also, what would you recommend i expose for?? obviously not the background correct? im thinking that i should expose for the girls/families faces. is this correct??
yes, expose for the faces... as long as it's not under 1/30th of a second you should be alright. if it is under 1/30 (like 1/10 or 1/20th) I would just set it at 1/30th and brighten it up in Photoshop later.
Reason being... if one of them moves while you take the photo she probably will be blurred under 1/30th of a sec.
Just keep that in mind.

thanks so much guys!!! ill be sure to post some of the results!:wink:

Most reactions

Back