Help setting up off camera flash at a wedding

gl600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When shooting the dance floor at a wedding, I want to be able to set up a few off camera flashes. I obviously can't just set up the flashes and shoot since the hall will have different temperature lights than the flash and as I move closer or farther from any given flash the temperature of the light will change and the necessary whit balance will not be consistent.
I suppose that what I have to do is take a reading of what temperature the hall lights are and then put gels on the flash to be the same, that way no matter where I shoot in the room the white balance will be consistent.
I do not have a light meter and here is one of my questions:
1) Can I just take the white balance reading off of a white piece of paper and then put on the corresponding gel?
Another question:
2) How do I know what gel corresponds to a specific colore temperature?
Also...
3) Does everything I said make sense? Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks!

In my opinion, it's not that important to get 100% accurate white balance when shooting a wedding reception. I personally like the warmth that you can often get from the ambient lighting, when your WB is set for your flash.

Sure, there are some situations where the ambient light can cause some ugly colors. What I do in those situations is just speed up the shutter to cut down on the ambient exposure. Basically leaving me with just my own lighting.

Also, I think that most wedding venue's that I've shot in, have a fairly wide range of ambient light color temps. Part of the room will be one color, while other parts will be other colors....and I certainly don't want to have to change a gel on my lights, every time I turn around.
Maybe, if things are fairly consistent, then it would be beneficial to gel your lights, but I really don't think that it's necessary. Keep in mind that a reception is usually a party, and having some color to the lights, often keeps that 'party feel' in the photos...while accurate WB might make the scene look a little sterile.

Usually your flash is going to blow out most of the ambient lighting anyway. I don't use gels on my lights at weddings. Like Mike said it is a party and that adds to the party feel. Now an interior for a builder or designer that is where you would gel the lights. Good luck and have fun!

Most reactions

Back