Help Shooting on Plexiglass

cupcake09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to do the perfect all white product shot with some reflection at the bottom. (i.e. this is what I'm going for http://www.georgesoules.com/Photography-Blog/Images/Product-Photography-Vermont-Maple-Syrup.jpg)

What I get:
A shot with good coloring/reflection but that has a clear line between background and plexiglass. This doesn't look how I want it to.

What I'm using
Sony A230
2.8 Macro Lens
Roll Infinity paper
Clear plexiglass
2 5500k daylight bulbs

Obviously the glass won't bend to cover all of the white paper. Is this something I need to buy strobes for?
Something I can fix in Photoshop? Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance! :)

It would be easier to help if you posted a picture of your results.:D

Thanks Jean!

here is a photo that I've just cropped

Try lighting the background. I could be wrong since I've never done it but I've shot things on my counter or table and when I light the background, you don't see it.

If you look at the original picture the camera angle is slightly down. I don't believe there is a background. I would recommend getting a longer piece of glass and white paper. Line it on a long table. Place object towards the front of the table and shoot at an angle where the remaining portion of the table becomes the background in the frame.

In the picture you posted I would recommend adding some fill light for the front, but I'm not sure what you're going for so I could be wrong.

In looking at original picture of maple syrup, I'm thinking the white background - attached to the bottom of the plexiglass sheet - is nicely curved upwards to completely remove the line between horizontal and vertical surfaces. In my mind, I think I'd try bending a piece of plexiglass at least 4 feet long and, perhaps 2 feet wide. Maybe even longer, to make the curve/bend a wider radius.

Just my $0.02 worth...

In looking at original picture of maple syrup, I'm thinking the white background - attached to the bottom of the plexiglass sheet - is nicely curved upwards to completely remove the line between horizontal and vertical surfaces. In my mind, I think I'd try bending a piece of plexiglass at least 4 feet long and, perhaps 2 feet wide. Maybe even longer, to make the curve/bend a wider radius.

Just my $0.02 worth...

How do you bend plexi? Sounds dangerous! off to google it!

Why do you need to use plexiglass?

There are all kinds of random plastics that are sold with white colors to them, which will all reflect just fine, and some of which are likely to be much easier to bend than plexiglass.

McMaster-Carr
(might want to call them up and ask about which ones have high reflectance, since that property is not part of the database)

If you get a good thin easy to bend reflective white plastic, then it becomes a trivial matter of simply making an L-shaped frame out of cheap wood, bending the plastic, and bolting it into a curved shape. Give yourself some clearance on the bottom so that you have the option of backlighting the plastic, for extra special studio bonus points.

$studio.jpg

Last edited:
I'd take the idea Gavjenks just posted one step further. Use clear Plexiglas and a white background a few inches beneath it, preferably Plexiglas, too. That way, you can light the white sheet from below/behind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back