Help!! Sigma 24 - 70

STMel03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just ordered a "Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF AutoFocus" from adorama... I was not aware that they make a macro version of the lens?(which I saw at b&h photo).. Is the macro version better or should I be kicking myself for not looking into it a little better?.. Just ordered so maybe I can cancel.. so.. what should I know about the two? I plan on getting a 1:1 macro in the future so I don't need the marco..but which lens it better quality?

Adorama
http://www.adorama.com/SG247028NNK.html

b&h photo
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/350972-REG/Sigma_548306_24_70mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html#reviews

I'm even more confused now.. they have the same part numbers even.. Which one is the newer version? I can't find any info on the web and want to get this figured out before they process my order! So can anyone shed some light on the difference in the two?

It's the exact same. They are simply labeled differently, and neither of them will give you true macro (1:3.8 max magnification).

Also, the Adorama site shows an older picture of the lens. I would assume they ship the new version.

Sigma announced the new 24-70 2.8 HSM today :)

supposed to have better overall optics and sharpness throughout the range

It's the exact same. They are simply labeled differently, and neither of them will give you true macro (1:3.8 max magnification).

Also, the Adorama site shows an older picture of the lens. I would assume they ship the new version.

thank you... the picture is what caught my attention the begin with..

of corse sigma would come out with a new version of the lens the day I order one! do you think it will be close to the same price? Should I wait for the latest and greatest version or will this lens do me fine?

The macro on that lens is not real macro, just lets you get closer. The newer lens will offer better IQ. Problem with Sigma is that they have quality control issues.

I know one person that showed us pics that were TERRIBLE, and another where they were really quite good. The guy that had the bad version was so put off that he simply went for the Nikkor 24-70 and is EXTREMELY happy now.

There are some Sigma lenses that are legendary in quality (18-50 DC EX HSM macro), and others that are legendary with their poor quality and front/back focusing issues (the original 18-50). In all cases check before accepting anything from Sigma.

I know one person that showed us pics that were TERRIBLE, and another where they were really quite good. The guy that had the bad version was so put off that he simply went for the Nikkor 24-70 and is EXTREMELY happy now.

well I hope I get a good one then.. This is my first major lens buy.. I just got my new D300 last week and now I need some new glass. Wish I could afford the nikon version, but the D300 set me back a bit. Will Sigma exchange if I get a crap copy or am I stuck with it?

It will likely be fine, no worries. Sigma wouldn't be in business if they weren't producing a fine product. I think the "quality control" issues are over-rated. Besides, if it does happen to have an issue, its all under warranty.

I own 2 Sigma lenses, the 17-70 and the 50-500. Both are used regularly. Although neither are top notch in quality, the trade-off was in the price.

Derrick

Thanks for the reassurance Montana.. I read a ton of reviews on the sigma and the negatives where far and few..

Another to remember if researching product reviews; people are more prone to write a review if they have a bad experience as opposed to a positive one.

Where you get it from decides if you will be able to return it or not, but if it goes back to Sigma, the warranty should cover it.

I own several Sigma lenses too and have no issues with them... however the 24-70 has been up and down a lot more than average in terms of complains and praise.

Just do a lot of testing and comparing to shoots on the net. Don't expect it to be as sharp and clean as a Nikkor 24-70 at F/2.8, but it will do fine at F/4 and up.

Let me share with you a bad example, and what you should be avoiding:

Sigma 24-70 @ 70mm and F/2.8:
3028713102_3f94f992bb_o.jpg

Basically the same pic on a 70-200 @ 70mm and F/2.8
3027877553_d073bbb502_o.jpg

Sigma 24-70 @ 50mm and F/2.8
3028713790_6caef16383.jpg

Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 prime at F/2.8:
3028713922_98aaa4cc3a_o.jpg

As you can see, its not a back/front focusing issue now... it is extreme softness and lack of IQ. Just do your tests and return it f you have issues. It goes without saying that who you are purchasing from should be a reputable dealer.

BOY, It pays to do some reasearch. I found a 24-70 on a local craigslist for sale for $300. I was really looking to get it. I'm not saying i wont buy it but, not without some serious testing and a price negotiation...Thanks Jerry for the pics and info...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back