help - strange connector port on old Sony camera

pictureEVERYTHING

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay - here's another question you all might be able to help me with.

I just received an old Sony DSC-S85 that I bought used. It came with an instruction manual and I have also downloaded a manual from the net. Neither one of them make mention of this port... and I can't figure out what it's for. Apologies for the cellphone pics - I'm at work right now.

It's located just above the memory card slot - it takes memory sticks of course - and from it's size I was hoping it would be a slot for a memory stick duo card. It has a little black cover and is not labeled. It is also located just below the reset button.
1189207046.jpg

1189207045.jpg

When I popped the cover off it is a small white connector - looks like what I call a card-edge connector but I'm sure that's wrong. There are small copper contacts on the top and bottom of it and it looks like something slides in between the two sets of contacts.

Any ideas?????

Dpreview says it takes memory stick and has usb connectivity. If you can find a USB connector on there then I can only assume this is either some connector for other peripherals (think weird mobile phone connectors) or a management bus connector used by Sony for troubleshooting.

it's definately not a usb - I was also thinking it was maybe for manufacturer use but most of the time those are so easily accessed. It might be a mystery I never solve but I was just hoping someone here had an idea. I've got this weird drive to know every single little thing about my equipment and that thing is bugging me. Thanks though.

This is gonna sound stupid, but did you look in the manual in the part that lists all the ports and parts and stuff?

should be in the manual? You sure it's not the proprietary end of the USB cable?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back