Help:Taking pictures in bright daylight - protest

DarkCrown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's Florida and the sun has been blasting itself 100% this week.

On Sunday there's a counter protest of us gainesvillians vs the Westboro Baptist Church which is coming to our towns Churchs(grrr). I want to take pictures of this event, but I'm like a new born baby with a mutated hand that's in the form of a digital camera. I'm equipped at the least. I need help in taking pictures during the afternoon in the streets and around a church(s). I have 7 lens at my disposal, polarized lens cover, sun blocking cone thing,UV protection cover, ect... I probably have enough equipment to take pictures of the sun directly :lol: .
What mm lenses should I bring?
What type of lenses? (ranging from wide,tele,fish, and more standard ones)
How should I set my settings?
*I probably should just sit outside everday till sunday and figure out ways to prevent over exposure, ect... but - tips,tips,tips*
I know very little about photographing people and even less about group photos.
I know the very, very basics of exposure. I'm trying to learn manual, but I'll let it side on this event because it's not going to happen again anytime soon. I'm a rather shy photographer and people scare me and people being hateful scare me more. This will be a rough experience no doubt.
I believe there will be a few hundred people or just over 100.

Do you know how to read your Histogram?
Have you heard of the Sunny f/16 rule?
Do you have an external flash?

If I was shooting individuals under the harsh sun, I would use an external flash to overpower the sun. For example, adjust your settings for the background, getting a proper exposure on the sky (which will underexpose your subject), then fill your subject with a flash.

Because I don't foresee you having someone hold a diffuser over peoples heads as you shoot them, you will probably be limited to doing the above, shooting in raw, and then for group shots using the Sunny f/16 rule and getting it good in camera, then enhancing everything later in post.

Here is an example of using your flash for fill, and setting your exposure up for the background

1.I don't know how to read a histogram. It took me forever to find out how to turn it on. I'm sure its not very difficult honestly. I learn fast and hard. Thanks for pointing this out.
2. Have now. thanks.
3. Not at the moment.

I'll take some pictures over the next few days and see what I can work on and hopefully get some CC on technique.

Do you know how to read your Histogram?
Have you heard of the Sunny f/16 rule?
Do you have an external flash?

If I was shooting individuals under the harsh sun, I would use an external flash to overpower the sun. For example, adjust your settings for the background, getting a proper exposure on the sky (which will underexpose your subject), then fill your subject with a flash.

Because I don't foresee you having someone hold a diffuser over peoples heads as you shoot them, you will probably be limited to doing the above, shooting in raw, and then for group shots using the Sunny f/16 rule and getting it good in camera, then enhancing everything later in post.

Here is an example of using your flash for fill, and setting your exposure up for the background

That picture is gorgeous! Did you turn down the flash to its lowest setting? Seems like there's virtually no flash at all in the picture.

Thanks.
It's just using Nikon's CLS in i-TTL.
So basically just point and shoot. I think the biggest factor was it's placement, I wanted to get shadows and contrast on the petals to give it a 3 dimensional feel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back