Help the inexperienced please.

Brad714

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am not a photographer by any means, but an illustrator. I am in need of advice from experienced photographers that can help me out. I want to take some photos of my wife as my model for reference for my artwork which is fantasy based. Somewhat in a comicbook style but with a touch of realism. I want to take pictures of my model in black & white with various props. I need somewhat dramatic lighting so I can see a full range of tonal values. I will be taking pictures inside a small 10x11 room with lighting from a window coming from the right hand side. The walls are a light gray. I have a simple Kodak EasyShare C763 camera with no attachments. What setting do I use on my camera to get decent shots that will suit my needs? Should I use some focuse lighting and cover the window with fabric? Please help. All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Brad

Are you looking to do something like this?
DSC03392.jpg

This was done with a sony p200 cybershot (pocket cam) It was shot with normal room lighting and a black sheet behind me. Then edited with a free easy to use program called picasa. If this is what you want to acheive I would have no problem editing them 4 u. Let me know

Here's a tip,

Use a credit card or other small reflective surface to bounce your flash off a ceiling or wall, given your shooting in a small room it'll give you some nice effects. I've used this trick a number of times and gotten strange looks from people...but great photos.

Here's a tip,

Use a credit card or other small reflective surface to bounce your flash off a ceiling or wall, given your shooting in a small room it'll give you some nice effects. I've used this trick a number of times and gotten strange looks from people...but great photos.
As I read around on this forum, I was wondering about something like this. Would a small mirror be of any benefit as well? Time to raid the wife's makeup kit and steal her compacts? :D

Just make sure its a straight mirror (I prefer a white card, it diffuses better). You will look suspect as a competant photographer if you open "your" compact, place it against the flash and dump a whole bunch of blush on top of your camera. :blushing:

Thank you so very much. I will use those ideas. If anyone else has more suggestions, I'm open to them.
Happy Holidays!:wink:

Most reactions

Back