Help to choose lenses to my Pentax K10D pls

Tayfun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody; I've bought a Pentax K10D body without its kit lens according to my friends' advices which tell the kit lenses were not good enough. So do you have any advice for me to buy which lenses. Or I plan to buy;
1.Sigma 17- 70mm F2. 8- 4. 5 DC MACRO lens
and
2. Sigma 70- 300 Apo DG Macro lens

These lenses are suitible with Pentax K10D and i have enough money for them. Do you think these are good enough for a beginner like me or can you advice any other?

Thank you very much..

As far as kit lenses go, the one that Pentax offers is pretty decent actually. I would buy at least one really nice piece of glass to accompany the body either nice prime lens like the 50mm f/1.4 (~200USD) or a zoom lens with a max aperture of 2.8. I am really pleased with Sigma 24-70 (~429 USD)f/2.8 as well as the 70-200mm f/2.8 (~880USD).

The 70-300 you mentioned is going to be of limited use unless you have a lot of light or you are shooting stationary subjects.

Are those lenses good enough for a beginner? Absolutely. I agree that a 70-300mm with an aperture of f/4-5.6 is going to be a bit limiting... obviously more limiting than one at f/2.8... but it's not as limiting as having no telephoto lens at all :wink: ... for the price a slow 70-300mm isn't bad, although personally I prefer Tamron's offering to Sigma's. Obviously there are also Pentax's own tele zooms, including their 50-200mm which doesn't cost much and is quite compact.

I definitely agree with John that you should get at least one really good lens to see what the camera is capable of... among Pentax's primes I would particularly recommend the 50mm f/1.4 which John mentioned - great value - or the 35mm f/2. Either would be a great lens for not too much money. With zooms you usually have to pay more to get the same quality, and a slower max aperture... if you have the money then the DA* f/2.8 zooms are the way to go, with their SDM focus and weather sealing complementing the camera. If your budget doesn't stretch this far then you could look at other options like the 16-45mm f/4 (basically a kit lens but better) or various third-party options like the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8.

I think that if you invest in a good body like the K10d then it makes sense to invest in good lenses to make the most of it. But of course that depends on your budget which we don't know. Those two lenses would certainly be fine for a beginner. One thing is for sure: The camera isn't much use without any lens attached ;)

First of all thank you very much for your commets Johnboy and ZaphodB. Acc. to your advices I'll look for a 50mm f/1.4. Also I have got the following lenses;
1-PENTAX 28-70 SMC FA 1:4
2-Pentax FA J 75-300 F:4,5-5,8

what about these ones? I mean if I buy the sigmas which I mentioned first, would I elevate my capability or won't it change much?

Both those lenses will work fine on the K10d. The 28-70mm may not be wide enough for a general walkaround lens, so something that goes down to around 18 or 16mm would not be a bad idea. As for the 75-300mm, well if you have that I can't see much point in getting the Sigma 70-300mm. It won't make much difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back