Help to choose my camera please

avilamillar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, im new to photography. now i have a sony DSC-H5, but i want to change it for the DSC-H50. do you recommend me to buy it or what should i buy??

i also want to buy some lenses for my new camera to take some good macros. what can i buy?

Thanks!

Hi, im new to photography. now i have a sony DSC-H5, but i want to change it for the DSC-H50.
You're going from one bridge camera to another. It's a nice upgrade, but is it what you really need?
do you recommend me to buy it or what should i buy??
Depends...what kind of photography are you interested in?
i also want to buy some lenses for my new camera to take some good macros. what can i buy?
You can't change out the lenses in bridge cameras, but you can attach conversion lenses or adapter (tele-converter, macro-converter) on some models. I'm not familiar with SONY bridge cameras or the available converters/adapters.

If you want to do macro photography, my suggestion is to look into getting a nice entry level DSLR. I'm not familiar with the SONY DSLRs but I'm sure they have a nice entry level DSLR you can check out.

I dont know if its what i really need, im interested in the macros, and take some nice pics when i travel.

i dont have much information about the DSLR. but i have looked for it and the lenses are too expensive. and i only have like 400 dolars for this camera.

thanks!

I was looking for a DSLR camera and i saw the SONY ALPHA DSLR-A300K but i dont know if i need to buy some other lenses it has a 18-70mm Zoom Lens.

this is the better price i found: Butterfly Photo - Sony DSLR-A300K - Incl. 18-70mm Zoom Lens - 10.2 MP Camera

What do you recommend me? the DSC-H50 or the DSLR-A300K?

thanks!

Really depends on what you want out of your camera. The A300 is going to be a more advanced model with more features. You will need to learn how to do some basic post processing in a photo editing software because as a general rule the images off a DSLR arent going to compare with a P&S because most of the P&S cameras already do some of the work for you. The advantage of the DSLR of course is the ability to change out lenses. The kit lens will be ok to start with but you wont have anywhere near the zoom you will with the P&S unless you invest in another lens. The dSLR will give you a ton of room to grow where as the P&S will do a lot but not as much in the end as the DSLR

I think im going to star with the P&S because i dont know how to use a photo editing software and for the DSLR ill need to buy some other lenses.

but what do you think is the best of this two:

NIKON P80

SONY DSC-H50

Thanks!

Hi, im new to photography. now i have a sony DSC-H5, but i want to change it for the DSC-H50.
Let's ask this: Is the Sony DSC-H5 not doing something you wish it could do?

If you're new to photography and the Sony DSC-H5 is able to do what you want it to do, then my suggestion is to hang on to it and just go out and shoot. Keep using it until it can't do something.

Remember...the camera only takes the pictures...you make it a photograph.

The thing is my H5 is the shoother buton dont work any more. thats why i want to change it.

The thing is my H5 is the shoother buton dont work any more. thats why i want to change it.
Oh, that's a really good reason to get another camera.

Do you want to stick with Sony or are you open to the other brands?

Yes, i also like the nikon. But the thing is i dont have too much money to invest. I can get a sony alpha 300 for 465 dlls or somethin near that price. Thanks

I just picked up my first DSLR about a month ago. I purchased a Sony a200. It has quite a bit of features, but is not overly complicated. It takes very nice pics, and there are tons of lenses out there for it. Lots of Konica Minolta, Sigma, Tamron, and Sony brand lenses that won't break the bank.

I did a lot of reading comparing the entry level DSLRs from Sony, Nikon, and Canon, and the a200 sounded like the one that would best suit my needs, and I have not been disappointed.

Last edited:
The only thing im not sure to buy a DLSR is because ill need to buy the lenses and the ones i have seen in the sony shop are too expensive. or can someone show me some lenses for good macros not too expensive.

thanks!

If your after budget macro lenses then I can recomend a few:

Sigma 70mm macro - very sharp lens (possibly sigmas sharpest lens)

Sigma 105mm macro - sharp lens, also a longer focal length and better for insect work

There is also the sigma 24-70mm macro however this lens is not a full macro lens, instead it is a close focusing lens which means that you can fill the frame with something like a flower head opened, but not an insect = if insect sized things are what your after then the upper two lenses are the best as they are proper macro

EDIT
Also sony have the Minolta fit on their DSLRs so some older Minolta lenses will work on them as well - I don't know the Minolta range at all, but there might be cheaper options there. Note that for some you might lose auto focus, but macro work is nearly always done with manual focusing only as it is more accurate and reliable at those ranges. Thus the loss of AF in macro is not a big problem

I looked for some of that lenses and i think now i cant invest that money. so what should be better?

The Sony DSC-H50

The Sony DSRL-a300 with 18-70mm Lens Kit

Whit the lens it comes do you think i can get better photos than with the h50?

thanks

Most reactions

Back