Help understanding color in this photo

Cinematique

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm trying to understand what happened to a role of Provia (probably Provia, maybe Velvia - lost track of what films I was using) I had cross-processed this week. I'm used to my chrome photos having a magenta cast, but the hot, overbearing reds are unprecedented.

And then what can I do to correct this color in Photoshop. I understand that the photo probably can't be saved entirely, but my M.O. is to shoot in sort of imperfect situations (weak light, open aperture, long shutter, etc.) and then make minor corrections to the levels.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(I'm not sure how to embed the photos so I'm setting up the following link.) http://www.essaysandfragments.com/for-review/blown-red/

Last edited:
I have been doing a lot of scanning, lately, of 120 negs on a Cool Scan 9000. The Nikon Scan 4 software allows you to save out as a NEF file. From there, you have a ton of control in ACR, or my app of choice, Lightroom.

That doesn't look like it can be saved...

I mean, the reds are totally saturated, not sure that there's anything there to go back to...

If you're worried about accurate colors, why are you cross-processing your slides?

(I'm not sure how to embed the photos so I'm setting up the following link.)

I'm not that interested in color accuracy but these are just too far off. I like to keep effects to a bare minimum, in-camera only, but these look like overboard effects or 60's nostalgia.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back