Help? Which is better for the D7100? 24-85 2.8 AF-D or the AF-S version?

kalliela

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shooot, FAIL thread topic..I meant the 80-200 LOL

Which is better and faster focus for the D7100? I am talking about the non push-pull/ 2 ring version of the AF-D.

Dumb question but do I have to focus manually on either of these? Or does it focus by hitting the shutter down half way? Confused.

Anyone know? Heard ppl complaining about focus problems using the AF-D, is this true or? Is the motor fast enough on the d7100 to focus pretty fast with the AF-D?

Or is AF-S the way to go? And what's this ghosty-flare stuff ken rockwell is talkin about? I like sunny pics, I don't want ghost.

But this lens would be used for indoor events anyway and I need a fast 2.8 zoom.

And no, can't afford the 70-200 or 70-300, VR whatever it is..far too pricy.

Thanks pros!!!!

:D

Last edited:
The Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras will AF just fine on your D7100.
The D7100 has an auto focus motor and screw-drive system in the camera body.

The 80-200 2-ring will focus just a tad slower than the AF-S version of the same lens. The AF-S version of the 2-ring 80-200 has been out of production for many years and finding one to buy can be a real chore. The AF-S version runs about $1200 used.

Used copies of the original version (about $1400) of the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras is way easier to find, but more expensive.

I used the Nikon AF 80-200 mm on a D300 to shoot field action sports, and it auto focused plenty fast enough for that.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I used the Nikon AF 80-200 mm on a D300 to shoot field action sports, and it auto focused plenty fast enough for that.

did you use the 2 ring version, non AF-S? ED? I don't have a d300 or anything else in the pro line, just the d7100, heard they are a bit slower than the pro line, true?

I just bit the bullet on the 80-200 AF ED non-AF-S!!!!! I hope I like it!! Damn, I am broke now!!!! *LOL*

Thanks guys for your help...I hope I can shoot some shots with it! Damn, broke! LOL

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back