Help! White Dot in my Shots!

neypacs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Help! I purchased a 2nd hand camera called YI M1 mirrorless camera and it was okay for some time but one time I forgot to put on the cover for the body when I took out the lens. After some time I noticed a very little white pixel on the upper right corner part of the picture. I noticed it when I was cropping my picture.

It looks like just one pixel that looks dead, it is there even if I take a shot with the cover on.

I want to know if this is a hardware issue or can be fixed if I update it's firmware or something. What caused this? Anyone else had the same experience with their mirrorless cameras?

You will find it on the upper right corner just at the tip of the leaf. Then the bottom picture is the zoomed part of that and as you can see it is clearly something that shouldn't be there.
16833680_10154586429353842_1918341046_o.jpg
16901813_120300002206040645_1049383895_n.jpg

Please help, thanks in advance.

Not sure how to permanently fix, but it is VERY subtle. I had to look 3x before I found it.

You could 'clone' the dot out easily, but yes- that's a hassle over time. Surely a better solution out there.

If you have a dead pixel then there really is no solution.
Before coming to any conclusion though I would try (in a VERY clean environment) to inspect that area of the sensor for debris. If debris is found you (or a professional) can clean it and see if this solves the problem.

Personally for that little spot I'd probably just use a bulb and see if a anything could be blown off. If not. I'd leave it alone.

Dead is dead; nothing you can do about it. In many cases manufacturers warranty won't even cover a single dead pixel it's annoying, but it most cases you'll never notice it.

tirediron said:
Dead is dead; nothing you can do about it. In many cases manufacturers warranty won't even cover a single dead pixel it's annoying, but it most cases you'll never notice it.

This looks like a small group of stuck-on pixels, like maybe a 2 x 2 array, or 4 individual, close pixels which are stuck "on". There are ways to map this out, as I understand it. This issue tends to be a huge worry to people who tend toward OCD, and worrry about tiny things like four out of 20 million pixels not performing perfectly, or perhaps four out of 36 million piels which are not performing perfectly. As to how it compares to say, dust on a slide scan, or dust on a B&W enlargement, cloning this type of stuck-on pixel does requires just a single "click!" from the clone tool on each kept shot--OR it can in some software applications, be batch-removed by making the correction on a target frame, and then that correction pasted to a whole batch of image files in one simple operation. I';m old-school, where it was common to take 20-30 minutes to correct a slide scan's dust bunnies...to me, this 2x2 group is not bothersome.

I would check with the camera maker, or look into ways to "map out" this issue...as I understand it, this can be done by the bigger camera makers: I am not familiar with the OP's camera maker, which I think might be a China-based manufacturer, and I do not know what kind of customer service they offer.

I have had a similar problem with two cameras over the past 15 years, and I just let it go except on the absolutely most-critical images. When I do correct this, is is just a simple "click" of the clone tool. The correction does not even have to be all that carefully done, since this is a tiny,tiny defect that most people will never,ever see, yet it dies tend to bother some people.

Make a Lightroom preset with a heal brush on those pixels. Just apply it on import

Most reactions

New Topics

Back