Help With a new computer

Dr. THX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for a new computer the one I have is now a door stop. I have been thinking about making the move to MAC but have not ever had one. I can get a duel 1.8 with 512 ram and 160 hd and a 17 inch for alittle over 2K. I also have been looking at a HP if I where to stay with a windows system. My last computer fell victum to a virus to the fact that there are few that affect MAC looks like a big plus to me. I only use the computer for email, serfing the net, working with my photos and uploading them to my site, writing letters and alittle book eeping. Most of my time is surfing the web on forums. Maybe one day gaming but not as of yet. CAll the software I have not will not work with a mac but that is not a big deal I don't have much.

Thanks for any help!!! :wav:

Macs are nice, but my opinion is that you can build a pc with 2x the ram and processor speed of what you quoted there, for half the price. Or you could build a pc with the same specs as that mac for around $5-600 roughly. If you stay away from Internet Explorer, and you get a good firewall and virus scanner, you'll be fine with viruses and a pc.

If you aren't into building your own computers, I always recommend Dell for quality/affordability. Check out Dell refurbished computers for something cheap. I have a refurbed Dell that I've been using for 5 years and it's run great all that time, with strategic upgrades along the way.

I build my own computer, it is cheaper and you can pick quality hardware that way.But I am into gaming a lot and am kind of an OC guy.
I think you cant go wrong with a P4 HT, as long as you stay away from the EE line.
Cant do that with Macs though.

Yeah, I built my computer. I'm not sure if you have any by you but check out Fry's, they usually have great deals on Mobo+Processor. It is deffinetly cheaper to build. Spending $2000+ for a computer that you mainly surf the net with isn't worth that much. 160 gigs is alot of space for just that. Maybe look into buying a laptop. It would make things alot easier and you can take it with you where ever and also if you shoot digital you can load your pics to it if your on a trip, which Matt pointed out to me earlier lol.

I'd also use a new computer for spell checking too!

Joking aside, it is relatively easy to build your own PC, if you havent already done so. My only problem with mine is that I cant exactly ring anyone up when I get a problem, so I usually back every thing up and just re-install windows. Seems to do the trick.

Dual 1.8 seems like overkill for the tasks you listed. I personally don't think the extra performance that Macs are supposed to have in graphics manipulation justifies the cost. Macs are expensive to puchase and own (upgrades, fixes, etc) because their components are custom built. They can't even mass produce them the same way PC manufacturers do since not enough people want them.

Thanks for all the feel back everyone, you made me feel better about staying will windows and just build.

j_mcquillen said:
Maybe should be on the 'Off Topic' board, rather than photography & camera Q+A

:thumbsup:

As for moving to a "Off Topic board" I think some of us use our computers to work on photos as much as we would use a camera. I think this question is in the right spot.:chatty:

Most reactions

Back