Help with Canon cameras

snark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been using Canon since the early 1970's. I hate to change, but I've wasted so much money recently. A couple EBay AE-1's turned out to be defective and an F-1 that came from a major seller whose name you would recognize also turned out to be junk, so I sent it back to them and they sent me another that was equally junk but for a different reason. It seems everything I buy is described as operable but turns out to be just an efficient way to waste film. Did Canon not stand the test of time and should I move on?

Well I guess that is up to you. I have an AE-1 that I have been using since the early 80’s. And I have bought a bunch of A series cameras from eBay. I think only 1 has really worked. I have sent most of them for a CLA (clean, lube, adjust) and they are working great. The biggest problem with Canon A series cameras is the Canon squeak. That is easily fixed with the proper grease in the proper spot. They are mechanical instruments and will wear out, nothing last forever. But they will last a long long time. When I look at any eBay camera before I buy I figure in the cost of a CLA in addition to the cost of the camera. I just want it to work and work correctly, so as soon as I get them I take them in. Yes this is expensive but I know I have a camera that will last me another 20+ years. It is so hard to say if anything stands the test of time. Give me any camera and I can make it non-functional in a month or two. But that same camera will last for decades if I take care of it. You never know how the previous owner(s) treated it. I’m really about 50/50 on getting good vs ones that need CLA. All mechanical cameras are eventually going to need CLA. Just like your car needs new brakes and regular oil changes. I have also found that most people selling cameras on eBay don’t know if it is good or not . If they push a button and it makes a sound it is working. Bottom line is all film cameras are getting old and will need maintenance. Just a fact with these old cameras. Sorry this was long winded. I love Canon A series cameras and just want to see them properly maintained and well taken care of. If you need a good repair shop, I send mine to Forsters Camera Repair in Salt Lake City UT.

Thanks, Warfarin. Yes, any old camera will need CLA, especially if you don't know whether it's been riding around in the back seat of someone's car in Phoenix for the past 40 years. I spent over two hundred bucks on CLA/repair for my "used but fully functional" F-1, but after two trips to the shop the shutter still hung up unpredictably, especially in cold weather. I eventually sold it for parts/repair. I am aware of the Canon shutter squeak and thought there might be some other problem unique to Canon, but it appears that my choice of repair shop may be the issue. I will send my AE1 to Forsters, as you appear to be satisfied with their work.

Sorry you had those problems. Someday I will get an F-1, after I get all the A series. You’ll like them. I am worried about them as the owner is getting on in years and only comes in to repair the “old” stuff. I’m gonna cry when he decides to truly retire.

When you find a F or A series Canon that does still work they are great cameras. We buy/sell used ones all the time at work.
Using old films cameras means you might have to build a parts camera collection as well. I own 6 Pentax K1000's so that the one I got for X-Mas in 1980 will live forever.
Only Canon I own that I shoot with is a EOS A2E (EOS 5 in Euro) I bought new in the 90's.

True that. I bought a new Mamiya 645 (a wedding photographer's backup camera that had never been out of the box). Unfortunately, the prior owner ignored the recall for a bad chip and the chip no longer being available I had to buy another 645 to cannibalize.

Get parts cameras...good advice for the younger folks, but I am 72 so I guess I'll just have my old AE1 fixed and trust it will last as long as I need it.

You get a quality repair/CLA done on that camera and it will last the rest of your life. The other thing about most current film shooters is they are not shooting 1000’s of shots a year like they did in the film only days. I’m 52 and if I shoot another 1000 shots of film in my life I’ll be surprised. Digital yes. Film costs to much today to shoot with wreckless abandon.

This is a bit off topic, but I'll respond. Today most people shoot almost exclusively digital for the reason you cite, Warfarin, and for other valid reasons. I do very little of it. I've spent most of my life honing my film photography skills and I am reluctant to set them out on the curb with the trash. I have a small fortune invested in analog equipment and although I have to use computers (as I do at this very moment) I neither understand them, nor enjoy using them. And I like the smell of acetic acid.

I’m a bit of a mix. I prefer film but use digital. When I’m taking pictures of B-day parties, Father’s Day, sports etc. where I’m gonna take LOTS of photos I use digital. When I want to take “artistic” pictures for the enjoyment of photography I use film. I just understand it better. Digital cameras have become so complicated. I bet I don’t use half the features or capability of my cameras. I gave a Minolta Maxxum 5000 to my daughter in law so she can start learning film. My grandson says to me Grampy I don’t like that camera it won’t show me the pictures. My big worry and another reason I am learning digital is when will they stop making film? Hopefully not in my lifetime but who knows. They are constantly making chemicals illegal so ya never know. We are so limited now on what we can get.

With respect, I can't grasp why the OP--or anyone--would expect 40-50 year-old cameras to be in any better shape. Sadly, there's no "Carfax for Cameras." My totally unrepresentative recent sample of used bodies suggests many are smoked, shot-to-death examples of entry/mid-market models well below makers' contemporaneous top-shelf pro gear. CLA? Good luck finding one. Many skilled techs won't touch consumer-grade cameras beyond seal replacement for lack of parts or know-how. Remember they've aged along with the gear--retired or deceased in my area. Not many will pop for a $250 CLA on a 50 buck camera. I won't.

Want to shoot 35mm film? Try buying the newest models you can find, likely early AF. Problematic for Canon; doable for Nikon non-AFS lenses and bodies that handle and meter with most manual lenses.

Last edited:
I agree and when I look at buying an older camera I factor in repair cost before I buy it. And as I said in my previous posts I’m worried when my repair guy finally stops. I fix them because I like shooting with them not because it is worth it. If money was the deciding factor then for sure I would get newer Canon film cameras. Oh wait I do have those as well. Problem with going with EOS film cameras is the OP has a lot of gear he has already spent money on that is incompatible with them. Otherwise I would say get a EOS 620/630/650 or an Elan 7/7n/7ne. I have bought a few of those with no issues what so ever.

Warfarin, tip of the hat to you. I took your advice and sent the AE1 to Forster's for CLA. The price was reasonable and it was done and back in ten days. I could not be more pleased. Thanks for suggesting it.

I've been buying and selling used film cameras for a long time and, in my opinion, the Canon A-series cameras are a risky purchase. They are often completely dead or have other issues that are a pain to deal with such as broken battery doors, broken eyepieces, lens mount issues, etc. They have lots of relatively fragile plastic parts, especially the later ones.

On the other hand, some that I come across still look nearly like new and seem to work fine. But, for how long?

I don't mean to pick on Canon -- they are popular when working though I do think they are overpriced these days and there are others with equal or better features available for less money. I just don't see why people pay $200+ for them when there are better choices (in my opinion) for half the price.

Last edited:
Warfarin, tip of the hat to you. I took your advice and sent the AE1 to Forster's for CLA. The price was reasonable and it was done and back in ten days. I could not be more pleased. Thanks for suggesting it.
They are great people. I have taken many cameras there for repair.

I've been buying and selling used film cameras for a long time and, in my opinion, the Canon A-series cameras are a risky purchase. They are often completely dead or have other issues that are a pain to deal with such as broken battery doors, broken eyepieces, lens mount issues, etc. They have lots of relatively fragile plastic parts, especially the later ones.

On the other hand, some that I come across still look nearly like new and seem to work fine. But, for how long?

I don't mean to pick on Canon -- they are popular when working though I do think they are overpriced these days and there are others with equal or better features available for less money. I just don't see why people pay $200+ for them when there are better choices (in my opinion) for half the price.
I love Canon’s and especially A series ones but I agree with you. I got my AE-1 in the mid 80’s and have had it rebuilt twice. When I look to buy them I just figure in the cost to fix them as my final price. I don’t buy them anymore because of the issues you mentioned. I will buy 2 more just to complete my collection (A-1 and AL-1) then no more. My eyes just don’t do well with manual focus anymore. Mostly I stick with them because when they work they work well and I have a lot invested in glass. There may be better cameras out there but then I have to dump a ton of $$$ into glass. Cheaper to repair.

Most reactions

Back