Help With Canon DSLR Lens?

Buszaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everone,

I'm sort of thinking about a DSLR camera. Would like to get a Canon, probably XTi. Found a good deal at Futureshop. The kit has the camera, a 75-300 and 18-55 lens, I would also like to get a third. I really like to shoot wildlife and sports. My budget is around $600 Canadian. Preferably a Canon lens. Any help really appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Welcome to the forum.

For beginners, the 18-55 and 75-300 should be OK. They are not top quality lenses...but they should be a good kit to start with.

For shooting wildlife, usually you want a longer lens. For sports, you usually want something fast (large maximum aperture) and probably something long as well. The trouble is that fast and long together makes for a very expensive lens....closer to $6000 than $600.

I would suggest that you try out those two lenses for a while and see how you like them. The 75-300 may be all you need for shooting wildlife and even sports.

I there is something missing from those two lenses...it's a fast lens for shooting in lower light. There are several good options to fill this void. The Sigma 30mm F1.4 is a great quality lens and very fast. The Canon 50mm F1.8 is very cheap and has good image quality. The Canon 85mm F1.8 is a great lens and isn't all that expensive.

You might want to get a flash as well...in which case, I'd suggest the 430EX. The flash and a cheaper lens should fit your $600 budget.

Also, if you get the camera without the 18-55 kit lens, you could get a better lens for that range. The Canon 17-85 IS, lens is a good choice. The IS (image stabilization) is a great feature. Alternatively, the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 is a great lens.

You could also consider the Canon 75-300 with IS, which is a fair bit more expensive than then 75-300 without IS...but again, it's a great feature.

Future shop does have great deals from time to time...but I'd also consider ordering from B&H or Adorama (links at top of page).

Most reactions

Back