Help with Canon G9x

gb50677

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased the Canon G9x. I like the camera except for the fact that I cannon have the date imprinted on the photos. Does anyone know or have advice to add the date stamp to this camera? Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you

I don't think you can have it imprint it on the photo and show "in the camera". (I may be wrong, so forgive me if I am.) To get the date and other information in camera, you can change the display settings when reviewing your photos. Not sure what the button is on the G9X, but probably "INFO" or "DISP" or similar. Pressing that will cycle through the different viewing options.

If you're printing directly from the camera, you can have the camera put the date on the print. Go into the settings and/or read the manual that @robbins.photo provided.

Otherwise, I haven't used Canon's software recently, but I believe that the software has a selection/option for putting the date on prints. It likely pulls the date from the EXIF data stored in the photo.

My guess is that too many people were taking the pictures with the date imprinted and didn't want that option turned on. Having that option turned on "ruined" all their photos. My one brother-in-law leaves the date on and my sister constantly asks me to remove the date in Photoshop.

Page 176 in the manual.
rtfm.gif

Page 176 in the manual.
rtfm.gif
The OP didn't specify whether he/she wanted it digitally or printed? Page 176 is only for print... Some people want it imprinted into digital files.

Page 176 in the manual.
rtfm.gif
The OP didn't specify whether he/she wanted it digitally or printed? Page 176 is only for print... Some people want it imprinted into digital files.
Where I come from when someone wants it imprinted ON the photo (See OP's original post) that would mean when it is printed. It is always going to be part of the Meta Data until removed.

Page 176 in the manual.
rtfm.gif
Where I come from when someone wants it imprinted ON the photo (See OP's original post) that would mean when it is printed. It is always going to be part of the Meta Data until removed.
What a self-centered statement--"where I come from". This is a forum; we all 'come from' different places.

Some people do want it imprinted on the digital file. Which is why companies offered it for quite a while, if not still on select cameras.

Page 176 in the manual.
rtfm.gif
What a self-centered statement--"where I come from". This is a forum; we all 'come from' different places.

Some people do want it imprinted on the digital file. Which is why companies offered it for quite a while, if not still on select cameras.
Wawa. Youse need to go down to the state store then hit the mummer and relax.

I'll let you explain that little bit of "English.":lol:

Wawa. Youse need to go down to the state store then hit the mummer and relax.

I'll let you explain that little bit of "English.":lol:
I shouldn't post when I first wake up.

I think it was the extremely bolded font in conjunction with the "where I come from" language that set me off. People have all different types of requirements, which is why the date imprinted on the digital file was, at least at one point, an option. Likely an option only on P&S. If you didn't want it, you turned the option off.

You're also berating someone that came on here to ask a question that he/she wasn't able to find. Nice.

Obviously you've never had to use this option of imprinting the date, but I have. Having it imprinted directly onto the digital file helps greatly when, for example, you have 100+ shots from the past several months that you have to compile into a field report with each photo already dated. In these instances, the photos are more for record keeping than art. It takes a long time to go into the EXIF/properties of each individual photo to find the date and then manually type that in. I know from experience.

Also, the "where I come from" statement indicates that you and your history/background is "normal" and anything outside of that is "abnormal" and/or "weird". That would be incorrect. :)

If you give a man a fish he eats for a day. If you teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime. This is a case where the information MAY be in the manual that the OP should #1 have and #2 read.

If I interpreted the OP's question correctly then the OP had the answer all the time. Kind of like sitting by the stream with fishing rod in hand wanting somebody else to bait the hook.

If you interpreted the OP's question correctly and assuming the OP had read the manual the question could have been more succinctly written to explain that the OP wanted the date to show on the digital file, not just in the Meta Data and all the OP could find was how to put it on a printed copy. At which point several options would have been available to the OP in post processing.

As far as "where I come from."
Wawa is the sound a baby makes when crying, not the name of a convenience store.
We buy our liquor in a liquor store not at a state store.
We call it a parade not a mummer.

English.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back