Help with Choosing the Right First DSLR Camera Requested

wally_z

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there. I have had a Canon A1100 IS for about 2 years now and I am considering purchasing a DSLR camera. This will be my first DSLR, but I do own another camera I mainly use for capturing videos. My friend told me to buy a Nikon so I checked out the Nikon website and found some nice cameras I am considering.

First off, my budget is like $700 (I would like to keep it under this much including a lens.). I found and compared the D3000, the D3100 and the D5100. I think I might go with the D3100 because it seems like a good beginner DSLR and it has quite a lot of features. The only reason why I would want the D5100 is because the megapixel count is higher, you can plug in an external microphone, and you can record twice as much video as the D3100. But the price is a bit too steep for my budget, even if it comes with a lens. (Somewhat related: Why can't some of these DSLR's record more than ~20 minutes of video regardless of the quality and size of memory card?)

What I would like is your input, what brand you prefer, and what kind of camera a person new to DSLR cameras. I'm not new to cameras, I know how to take a good quality picture with good lighting, etc.

Cameras are NOT limited to the ones I posted, feel free to post whatever camera you want that is under $700, (I'm willing to go to $750 ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM). Here are the links to the two cameras I posted:
D3000: http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/ThemeID.18145600/productID.213428100
D3100: Nikon Store - D3100 + 18-55 VR Lens Kit (contemplating this one)
D5100: Nikon Store - D5100 + AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
What are you looking to use it for, and do you think you will progress with photography or mostly stick to using auto?The 5100 is quite an upgrade on the 3100. It has the same sensor as the D7000 (which is nikons latest sensor until we see the new pro models) Also it has a much higher resolution LCD screen and it can do 1080p at both 24 and 30 cps.Don't know if any of that is important.

@Doe I am mainly looking to use it for taking pictures of landscapes and buildings. I highly doubt I'll be using the Auto mode. I don't know anything about sensors, so if you could explain I would be grateful. I would like to take videos at full 1080p with 30fps which is nice and standard for both the D3100 and D5100 models. What really makes the D5100 something else is that it has a microphone jack. I might just get the D5100 because of the jack.

The jack would be a big issue if you are into video certainly. Otherwise you can pick up the sound of the focus motor etc. The 5100 sensor is also quite considerably better at low light work in that it has less noise at high iso. It's colour range is also greater than the 3100. Also as I said the screen is 920k vs something like 300k that makes a lot of difference to being able to see sharpness in images taken to check focus, and also of course for video it is the screen you will use for filming. If I were you I would go and try them out so you can see the difference for yourself but I'm pretty sure the 5100 would last you for longer in the sense that you wouldn't probably be tempted to upgrade so fast. So it might be a better spend in the medium term.

@Doe I see your point and I will be heading to whatever stores in my area sell them and see if I can try them out. Thanks for the help.

It seems like you are more interested in video than in photography, in which case, I always recommend Canon.

Personally, I shoot Nikon, but I don't care anything about video. Heck, my D700 doesn't even have video.

In any case, usually, my list of questions when trying to help somebody pick a camera are as follows:(in order of importance)

What is your budget?(which we already know is $750 max)
What feels best in your hands?(which we don't know, yet)
What kind of stuff do you like to shoot?(which we are a bit confused about since you seem to be teetering between landscapes and video)
What do your friends shoot with?(this is important because they can provide support and can loan you equipment to try out)

So, looks like you are looking at a Canon T2i or the D5100. I think they both lack a lot when it comes to external controls and neither feel good in my hands, so if I were you, I would probably base my decision on weighing the Canon's video plus and what gear you might be able to borrow from your friend. Pretty much a toss up.

@Kerbouchard I would say I shoot video more than anything else so 1080p is a nice plus for me, I looked at the Canon T2i and it seems really nice, but I don't know if it has the external mic port. If the Canon had the mic port, I would buy it in a second. I believe the Canon has 1080p, and it has a higher MP count than the Nikon. My neighbor has a DSLR, I have no idea what brand or anything but Ill ask if I can try out her camera for a few days.

I really like the Canon, but the Nikon just seems a bit better because of the mic port. Is there a way to use an external microphone to plug in to a camera without a mic port? I know I can just get a video recorder and sync the audio in my editing program but I don't want to have to buy a whole new audio recorder. I would rather use a microphone that I already have to just plug it into the camera so I save some money.

What do you think?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back