Help with Composition Books or Material Please

revenater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple photo sessions coming up and need help with composition and posing. I am not charging for any of them, they are all for friends so I can get the practice. One is a senior picture session, another is a family session with a husband and wife(who is pregnant) and their parents, the last is home coming pictures for my nephew and his girl friend. I just want them all to turn out great so I have been look at others work for a while and studying mine to see what I have done wrong to help. I just want to know if any one has any books or website reading that they recommend or if this is just something I need to figure out as I go? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

One other thing in the family pics one lady is a little over weight in case that helps with your recommendations.

Last edited:
My pet answer for posing ideas is surf flickr and create a contact sheet for yourself of poses for each session.

With overweight people shoot from above eye level when at all possible. The natural distortion will shrink the lower extremities and hide things like double chins and rolls that we all have.
Have her press her tongue to the roof of her mouth to pull up a chin.
Tilt her so that she's never flat on to the camera showing her full width. If she has curves (breast and butt) use them to create the hourglass figure.
Make sure that there is space between the arm and the body to accentuate that curve. If the arm is touching the body it makes her wider.
Don't use flat lighting with a larger woman. Light from one side stronger and fill or reflect if needed.
Darker clothing can help hide imperfections and is easy to light/shadow for a slimming effect

you're welcome!

Is the canon 24-105mm F4L an ok lens to shoot them with or should I use my 75-300mm F4?

I just dont know if the wide angle will make them look bad.

Your 24-105 should be fine.You can use the distortion to your advantage somewhat if you have any. It isn't a TON of distortion at 24mm. Obviously you don't want to shoot wide angle from the belly level, but from above it is fine.

Thank you all for the help. I will be doing my research and I will post some shots after I'm done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back