Help with composition

anthrope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
An alleyway on Ile de Goree, Senegal.

I was really drawn by the vivid colors in this scene, and tried to capture them as much as possible. The main concerns I have are the large amount of black in the upper left, and the fact that the alley seems to draw my eye right down the center of the image and away from the colored buildings I was trying to capture. What does everyone else think? I had trouble cropping the image without losing a lot of the detail.

Any advice/ comments are always appreciated.

Title: Ile de Goree
Camera: Canon A80
Shutter Speed: 1/320
F/Stop: 4.0
Editing: none

OTE, of course

0008.jpg

Hmmm. I understand your concern, and to be frank, the image would probably be stronger if the branches hadn't gone so dark with the exposure. They otherwise frame the image nicely, but yes, unfortunately you did end up with a large amount of black in an otherwise very colorful shot.

That said, you'll be glad to know my eye actually went straight down the alleyway and fixed onto the small figure at the end. I was wishing the figure were somewhat larger, but the way he/she is standing captured my attention, and adds interest to the image. The colored buildings are nicely exposed.

You were on the right track with this shot, definitely. :thumbup:

I agree that you were on the right track. I would definitely suggest limiting how much of the branches were showing and I'd probably also shift the frame so the vanishing point isn't as centered. Maybe try aiming more towards the right with the end of the walkway ending up at the top left of the frame? Just a thought.

I guessing that re-shooting is not an opinion

Try cropping by cutting about ½ inch off the top and ¼ inch of left side

Thanks for the advice, guys. Re-shooting is definately not an option, so I messed around with the cropping and levels in photoshop a little -- what do you think, better? worse?

goree2.jpg

i dont like the cropping off the top, but the dark leaves bother me...is there any way to dodge the leaves at all? Maybe if they were lightened up a bit it wouldnt be as distracting...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back