Help with crop, rules of thirds

there ya go! like i said, shoot much, especially when it's sports/action. you may get the pic you didn't know you took, and you have a lot more to work with. it takes time, but with practice, it starts to get easier.

Jay, I have a sense of wanting things on the left and right of photos to give the perception of (whats going on around) however i get the idea that-that might be the wrong thought process. As i see in the different crops... there is less in the one before than in mine... does it make that much difference in inches.. or do you really want to get it as tight as you can?

Well, cropping becomes dependent on it's final output. Intertube sites are more forgiving with non standard cropping but when it comes to framable prints, you want to try to stick to standard crop ratios to try to avoid custom framing. Generally it's better to over shoot the scene than under. This gives more cropping possibilities, rather than being stuck because you can't add to the image later.

cropping is a matter of personal preference. as bitter jeweler points out, shooting wider gives you more to work with in the post work. i am actually one of the people who shoots wide and then looks for the shot later in post processing. i know this is not the norm, and there are those who believe and preach that you should never have to crop your shot, but it's the way i shoot. ultimately it's the shot you are after that matters. also as bitter jeweler points out, cropping really becomes a factor when you mount the print, as the industry standards are set, i.e. 8x10 and so on. it's a learning game and it's all about practice, and having fun.

Most reactions

Back