Help with D5100 menu function

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At the risk of seeming as ignorant as I feel, I relate the following: I got out my D5100 today after about a year, and cannot access the menus. I press the menu button and there is no change to the screeen. I've gone back to the manual, which simply say "press the menu button." The battery is charged and the card is fine. Is it me or the camera?

Yup ... should get the menu

I'd probably try a hard reset first, assuming the problem isn't with the menu button itself you can press and hold both the menu and information buttons at the same time which should force the camera to reset to factory, when you power it off and back on it should ask you to set the date/time.

If that doesn't work I'd say odds are good the menu button itself is probably not working, in which case it would most likely need repair.

Are any of the other buttons working? Can you get anything to come up on the screen? If you press the > button will it display images on your card? info?

I'd probably try a hard reset first, assuming the problem isn't with the menu button itself you can press and hold both the menu and information buttons at the same time which should force the camera to reset to factory, when you power it off and back on it should ask you to set the date/time.

If that doesn't work I'd say odds are good the menu button itself is probably not working, in which case it would most likely need repair.
Thank you! Other functions weren't working either - like review. I tried going for the hard reset and when I turned it back on everything was working, but without going back to day one status i.e. I didn't have to enter the date or preferred language. Now I can keep to my plan of waiting for the d7300 to come out, and then buy a d7200. Thanks again!

Are any of the other buttons working? Can you get anything to come up on the screen? If you press the > button will it display images on your card? info?
Good question. The review was not working either. The Zoo Guy got it working without even a laying on of hands! And thanks for your response.

Thank you! Other functions weren't working either - like review. I tried going for the hard reset and when I turned it back on everything was working, but without going back to day one status i.e. I didn't have to enter the date or preferred language. Now I can keep to my plan of waiting for the d7300 to come out, and then buy a d7200. Thanks again!

Sweet. Glad that worked.

Sweet. Glad that worked.
I would like to propose a Marty Forscher Award for the forum member who best solves a fellow member's faulty equipment problem, and of course I would nominate you for the prize. What follows is a link to Marty's obit in the New York Times. Marty Forscher, Who Tended Cameras and Owners, Dies at 87 I only dealt with Professional Camera Repair once, when I had to have the strap lugs replaced on my Nikon F. Even though I was still a student, he treated me like a photographer. He was a hero in many ways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back