Help with D70s flash

weirdcharacters

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm using a D70s and SB600 wirelessly. I'm wondering, since the manual says the trigger from the D70s is a COMMANDER, not a MASTER, why the flash still fires? Isn't a commander just supposed to relay the flash command to the wireless, and a Master both fires AND relays?

If the SB600 needs that flash of light to trigger itself(I'm not sure how it works), is there anything I can do to dim down the onboard flash so as to have it not show up in my pictures, but still have the SB600 fire?

You could always cover it with something. Not sure but I think the trigger is
infra red. I'll have to do some experimenting.

I tried covering it with my finger tip just to try it out and all I got was a warm fingertip and no flash.

It fires to trigger the remote flash. The pre-flash trigger doesn't contribute much if anything to the final exposure. The D200 can be set up so the on-board flash can trigger remotes and contribute to the image but not the D70.

dsp921 said:
It fires to trigger the remote flash. The pre-flash trigger doesn't contribute much if anything to the final exposure. The D200 can be set up so the on-board flash can trigger remotes and contribute to the image but not the D70.

ditto. The "flash" from the on board speedlight is just a signal to the sb-600. It doesn't add any, or at least it shouldn't, extra light to the scene.
I have both the 70 and 70s along with 800 and 600 and have used the commander mode many times and haven't seen the onboard flash in the final image.

Most reactions

Back