Help With Family Portrait Pricing

mihand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was recently asked by a co-worker for a quote for a family Christmas portrait session. The largest group would be 46 people (a woman's children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren along with any plus ones) and then there would be some smaller group shots (people's smaller families). It will be done at a large house and the smaller group shots would be done in different rooms. Below are the details she is looking for. What do you think is a good price? I have yet to do portraits but I've done 6 weddings as the lead and 40 as the second shooter.

3 hours
High resolution files on 4 CDs with printing rights

... I've done 6 weddings as the lead and 40 as the second shooter.
And you don't have an hourly rate worked out? How do you price your weddings? Not meaning to be rude, but this seems like an elementary question for someone with an established business. I would say three hours for a job like this is very optimistic, especially with multiple locations. Even if they are all in the same home, it still takes time to set up and strike gear. By "4 CDs" I assume you mean she wants four copies of the shots; how many images is she expecting altogether? 10, 20, or ? There's not really enough detail but I wouldn't estimate this at a penny below $750, and depending on how many smaller groups, I'm inclined to guess more like north of 1K.

did you not take family photos of the bride/groom and there family at the 6 weddings you were lead on? this is going to be no diffrent really.

as for pricing it depends. 46 people. wow. I'd almost bed while your there they will want oh this person with that person. ohhh just get the kids together, okay how about one with just the adults. ohh how about these two together, etc. etc. I would definatly work out a shot list with them and set those as what yoru going to get, then estimate the time needed to do the shoot. then if you want to keep it simple. do it based off of your hourly wage. assuming you have one.

I was recently asked by a co-worker for a quote for a family Christmas portrait session. The largest group would be 46 people (a woman's children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren along with any plus ones) and then there would be some smaller group shots (people's smaller families). It will be done at a large house and the smaller group shots would be done in different rooms. Below are the details she is looking for. What do you think is a good price? I have yet to do portraits but I've done 6 weddings as the lead and 40 as the second shooter.

3 hours
High resolution files on 4 CDs with printing rights

Let me guess... "Natural Light"?

How do you shoot weddings without doing portraits (formals)?

With all the permutations of family member groups, using different rooms, etc, I agree 3 hours is very optimistic, even if you have a couple of assistants.
At the least, a family member or two would have to function as a people 'wrangler' to make sure all the various combinations of family groups get to the right room at the right time.

I would bet each disc would nned to have well more than 20 images on it.

Figure a disc with 20 hi-res, fully edited portrait images as equivalent to at least $1000 worth of prints. (Note: Print labs just sell a little ink and some paper. Print labs do not provide the images that get printed.)
Four discs then would be equivalent to $4000 worth of prints.
If the discs have more than 20 images, they are worth more.
It would be reasonable to give a discount for the extra discs.

IMO, to many retail photographers price discs of images like a commodity, instead of the luxury item they are.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back