Help With Filters

mangorockfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking at Filters on YouTube and am totally confused. I want a set of ND filters, the Cokin style Ps or Zs with the three filter holder but want to be able to mount a polarizing filter on the front. Which set of ND filters should I get and what should it include and what am I going to need to mount a polarizing filter on the front, which polarizer and mount. My lenses are 58mm so what size does the Polarizer need to be? I don't really want to spend an arm and a leg, but want decent filters, so what are you folks using? I know this is a lot of info, so thanks in advance.

Last edited:
you can usually mount a 105mm cpl (with and an adapter ring) on the front of 100mm holders. like this Circular and Linear Polarisers

Failing that, just get a 58mm cpl with filter threads (ie not a slim or low profile) and screw the 100mm ring adapter for the filter holder to the filter. It may vingette a bit at wide focal lengths in some scenarios but can usually get away with above 12mm and a crop sensor. To use take the filter holder off leaving the ring adapter on and rotate to set the CPL, then without rotating it much put the filter holder on (they normally have a quick release) pre loaded with your filters. It's less of a faff than it sounds just make sure you are always rotating the cpl on the tightening side so it doesn't unscrew. If you change position you may need to repeat the process or rotating the camera from landscape to portrait rotate the filters and the cpl at the same time (just not the way to loosen it).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back