help with flash diffusers and umbrella setups

polock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, pardon my terminology, I am wanting to set up a make shift studio in my garage to take pics of my kiddos and play around with stuff. Could someone list all the parts I need to set up the 2 umbrella diffuser system that you see in actual studios. I am going to make my own backdrops from fabric. I just have never messed with any of these umbrella things :).

So I know I need the stands, the umbrellas, but not sure what the the flashes are called that fire into them are called.

I am shooting a canon digital rebel xti 8mp.

also what is a good website to get stuff on. Please hear me on this. I am not a professional, I do not want to spend professional prices on this stuff. This is a small hobby, and I am not looking to spend a grand on a flash set up. something cheap that will work ok.

FP320 Flashpoint Model II 320A Monolight, 150 Watt Second Strobe, 120 Volt
$99 per monolight--about 4 times cheaper than a quality speedlight, but with a built-in umbrella mounting receptacle. THis is as affordable as it gets, and the modeling lights will help you preview your lighting effects,and will help you learn.

With each one of these, buy an 8- to 10-foot light stand and a 30 to 45 inch umbrella. You can trigger these with their built-in flash slave trigger, by using your camera's pop-up flash set to a low, manual power setting. Each monolight has a slave trigger, so you could buy two of them and have a main light and a fill light and achieve pretty good lighting with a little practice.

Pro Review: Adorama Flashpoint II 320 Monolight (Professional Photographer Magazine Web Exclusives)

These are the "early" versions reviewed.

jeez it seems like a new question about stuff like this pops up everyday..

read this

Check the studio lighting packages offered by the bigger vendors like B&H, Porters, etc.
Go for what is available at the top of your budget.
Simple set-ups can do great things. The key is to practice-practice-practice.
That's one of the wonders of digi photography. Have a computer nearby and you can shoot and shoot and shoot for almost no cost especially compared to the 'old' days of film. Instant critique and learning at your fingertips.

Most reactions

Back