Help with flash

EllaElla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Have been shooting for only a few weeks now. I refuse to use flash because I don't know how. Typically with the point and shoot cameras that I've always used, the flash makes the photo look terrible. Am I wrong in assuming that you're not supposed to know if flash was used in a shot? The lighting should look natural, right?? I do not own a flash, but am thinking about picking one up. Any recommendations? I am shooting boxing and running in low light, with a Nikon D3100.

Thank you Buckster. I tried using the link in the Beginner's Forum, but it wasn't working for me.

As Buckster mentioned, there are a lot of variables to consider. (1) How much is your budget? (2) How much light do you need? (3)How fast do you need the unit to cycle? Under normal circumstances, I think that Nikon's SB700 is a flash that will suit most new to advanced amateurs as a primary flash, however you don't mention if you're shooting this professionally (I'll assume not with a D3100), but regardless, I think an SB910, even though it's a lot more money ~$550 vice $350 might be the better choice due to an increased GN, faster recycle times and the fact that it is meant for people doing sport shooting.

tirediron said:
As Buckster mentioned, there are a lot of variables to consider. (1) How much is your budget? (2) How much light do you need? (3)How fast do you need the unit to cycle? Under normal circumstances, I think that Nikon's SB700 is a flash that will suit most new to advanced amateurs as a primary flash, however you don't mention if you're shooting this professionally (I'll assume not with a D3100), but regardless, I think an SB910, even though it's a lot more money ~$550 vice $350 might be the better choice due to an increased GN, faster recycle times and the fact that it is meant for people doing sport shooting.

Or a used sb800 for about 350-400.

Thanks for the advice guys! And no, I am certainly NOT shooting these professionally.

Most reactions

Back