Help with haze!

CThomas817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I often backlight subjects on bright, sunny days when the option of shooting at 7am or 4pm is not possible.

I have never had this issue before, but today, the sun was directly in my lens and it created a major haze which in turn caused my photos to lack sharpness. The subject was more or less in focus, but there was jusy a general grainy-blur going on in the whole photo. Any tricks for avoiding this? The sun was too bright for her to face it without squinting, side lighting was casting ugly shadows. The sun was too high in the sky for me to use her body to block it.

Any tips welcome... thanks.

Hey there! Did you use a lens hood? If yes and there is still a problem, in some locations you can just stand in the shade (especially with everything longer than a wide-angle lens). But that depends on the angle of the sun. On the other hand, it is quite modern to create low contrast backlit shots. Some people even try to get lens flare onto their subject detaching the lens and creating light leaks. It always depends on your scene how that turns out.
In any case - if you are shooting for somebody else rather than yourself, show them the images on the display and ask them if they like that style.

So I often backlight subjects on bright, sunny days when the option of shooting at 7am or 4pm is not possible.

I have never had this issue before, but today, the sun was directly in my lens and it created a major haze which in turn caused my photos to lack sharpness. The subject was more or less in focus, but there was jusy a general grainy-blur going on in the whole photo. Any tricks for avoiding this? The sun was too bright for her to face it without squinting, side lighting was casting ugly shadows. The sun was too high in the sky for me to use her body to block it.

Please post a sample (or a portion of a photo) that shows that issue.

Meanwhile, I will attempt to make a guess at what you're talking about.

If it is lens flare from the sun, then you should reposition your model and yourself so the sun is not right in the lens. There are some tricks to keep your model from squinting, such as not looking directly toward the sun, etc.

And of course, use a lens hood, which has been mentioned. If you find yourself needing a lens hood, and didn't bring the one that fits, make one using found materials.

With strong side lighting, you use your flash to fill the shadows.

Uh... let's see... I think I would have to see that "grainy" effect to come up with a suggestion on that.

The sun was too bright for her to face it without squinting, side lighting was casting ugly shadows. The sun was too high in the sky for me to use her body to block it.

Couple things, come to mind. 1st move subject to the shade (tree, building, sign, anything), or create your own using a piece of black foam core. 2nd buy or make a scrim (large translucent white panel) to diffuse the light on your subject.

Hey there! Did you use a lens hood? If yes and there is still a problem, in some locations you can just stand in the shade (especially with everything longer than a wide-angle lens). But that depends on the angle of the sun. On the other hand, it is quite modern to create low contrast backlit shots. Some people even try to get lens flare onto their subject detaching the lens and creating light leaks. It always depends on your scene how that turns out.
In any case - if you are shooting for somebody else rather than yourself, show them the images on the display and ask them if they like that style.

Thanks, I did use a hood but the sun was directly in the shot so unfortunately it didnt help much.

I know what you are talking about with the haze being popular, I have seen it, but Im not sure if that style really fit the theme of the shoot. I wanted contrasty and colorful for Christmas photos. I will consider it for future situations.

Thank you!

Please post a sample (or a portion of a photo) that shows that issue.

Meanwhile, I will attempt to make a guess at what you're talking about.

If it is lens flare from the sun, then you should reposition your model and yourself so the sun is not right in the lens. There are some tricks to keep your model from squinting, such as not looking directly toward the sun, etc.

And of course, use a lens hood, which has been mentioned. If you find yourself needing a lens hood, and didn't bring the one that fits, make one using found materials.

With strong side lighting, you use your flash to fill the shadows.

Uh... let's see... I think I would have to see that "grainy" effect to come up with a suggestion on that.

Yes, used the hood but the sun was directly in the shot. The model was an almost 2 year old (uncooperative by default), so trying to give directions (ie dont look this way) was somewhat of a challenge.

Ill try to post an example later today when im at the computer.

The sun was too bright for her to face it without squinting, side lighting was casting ugly shadows. The sun was too high in the sky for me to use her body to block it.

Couple things, come to mind. 1st move subject to the shade (tree, building, sign, anything), or create your own using a piece of black foam core. 2nd buy or make a scrim (large translucent white panel) to diffuse the light on your subject.

Do you think I can manage the scrim on my own? I am just starting out and an assistant is expensive when I'm barely making any money!

Do you think I can manage the scrim on my own? I am just starting out and an assistant is expensive when I'm barely making any money!
You can make one fairly inexpensively using a PVC pipe frame and some white yardage, such as nylon or even cheese cloth. It doesn't have to be fancy.

Getting it to stay where you want it is going to be the hard part. With no assistant to hold it up, you will have to be clever with a pair of light stands and some spring type clamps. And no wind to blow it over. :alien:

Of course you can, just like Designer mentioned above, but unless you already have the stuff on hand I'm not sure it wouldn't be cheaper to buy one like this Zuma Z‑4052 42" Dual Reflector Kit | eBay Mine was a little more expensive then this, but I've found that unless there is a lot wind I can juggle it in one hand and shoot with the other if I have to. If the 2 yr old isn't yours then I assume there is a Mom or Dad handy that could be drafted into service. Win/win, gives them something to do, and keeps them out of your way!! LOL

Something not mentioned earlier, you can also just adjust the time of day for the shoot. Early morning might be difficult with a 2yr old, but late afternoon should be manageable.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back