Help with Head shots...

Ihaveaquestion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have head shots lined up for this weekend.

I was wondering what are some standard poses ie 3/4 turn.

Also lighting techniques ie front side overhead?

Ive never done head shots before and dont know whats expected ( I should just ask him the shots he wants to see huh?)

I have a 50mm and 85mm for the shoot which I think should work well.

Any thoughts and advice?

I was recently reading on another forum a very similar thread, and came across this link: http://www.lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/rules.html

On the advice side from a person with very little experience (actually, I did a few head shots for a few individuals tonight, but did not get a model release and therefore can not post) one major thing I learnt is patience. Every little position of a limb or angle of the body counts - they might think you are being a pain in the rear, but it truly does make a difference.

Edit: On lighting I had just used a mottled dark blue backdrop, a softbox as the key, and I was going to use an umbrella as fill - but as per usual, I forgot a single item that made that impossible. Say.. a second light stand? So the reflector I was going to use as a subtle hair light became my fill. (Maybe the most important thing I learnt is when you make a list, check it twice :lol:)

Another good thing to do is try to find out where the person is going to take the headshots, agency wise. Then look at the agency website to see what trends the photos have in common.
Good Luck!

I was recently reading on another forum a very similar thread, and came across this link: http://www.lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/rules.html

Holy cow. That's our old "friend" Tally Ho.

I gotta tell ya, this is very well done. It's good to see he found such a wonderful outlet for his energy. He's covered quite a bit, and has done a very good job of it.

My hat's off! I admit I'm scratching my head at the same time. I wonder why he won't offer his name. That always bothered me. Oh well.

Pete

Dang. I just learned something from Tally!!!! I had no idea about the fem and masc head tilt. It makes total sense though.

Most reactions

Back