Help with identifying an issue with my Minolta CLE

gkouts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forums, but wanted to reach out to the community for help with an issue I'm having with my Minolta CLE & 40mm M-Rokkor lens. I'm not using any filters with it.

I've had this camera for a couple of years but haven't used it very much. I recently developed a bunch of film and noticed a strange red mark, appearing over the same spot every time. Sometimes it's visible while other times entirely invisible. It seems to me like it's associated with shooting into / towards a light source, or if there's a strong light source in the frame. Am I right in thinking this is some sort of internal reflection / lens flare, or should I take the camera or lens into repair?

Your help is much appreciated folks, some sample images of the problem attached.
In particular there's 2 images that are very similar with one having a mark and one not (portrait of guy in hat). The mark appears in the same spot on the frame when shooting vertical too.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Greg

Attachments

• 46130003.jpg
    46130003.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 46130022.jpg
    46130022.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 306
  • 46140021.jpg
    46140021.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 46150013.jpg
    46150013.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 315
  • 46130001.jpg
    46130001.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 46160030.jpg
    46160030.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 317
  • 46160033.jpg
    46160033.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 298
  • 46160034.jpg
    46160034.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 312
Lens flare and light reflection would change position in the shot (when the light point changes)
Looks like a light leak.
Have the seals on the back checked.

Rather than a light seal gone bad, I suspect it is a hole in a shutter curtain. Telling which is quite easy: take a shot and wind on the film. Leave the camera somewhere bright for an hour. Take another two shots and do not wind on after the second shot. Again, leave somewhere bright for an hour.

If it is the light seals gone, both will produce the same effect. If the mark appears on the first shot but not the second, it is the second curtain with a hole. If the mark appears on the second shot but not the first, it is the first curtain that has the hole.

Last edited:
Looks to me like you simply need new light seals which you can do yourself.

Or, it shouldn't cost much to have done by a repair person.

Thank you very much for your help everyone. It's clearlty not a light flare as I thought because like you pointed out it's always in the same place.
It sounds like the two possibilities are a light leak or some damage to the shutter curtain. A while back the curtain was stuck so I "gently" helped it get unstuck with my fingers and perhaps I damaged it in the process. Or it could be as simple as a light leak as you guys said. I'll do the test as suggested by john.margetts and see if I can isolate the problem. Your help is much appreciated folks!

Greg

And if you are really really bothered by it ... I will take it off your hands, for no charge :345:

Thank you very much for your help everyone. It's clearlty not a light flare as I thought because like you pointed out it's always in the same place.
It sounds like the two possibilities are a light leak or some damage to the shutter curtain. A while back the curtain was stuck so I "gently" helped it get unstuck with my fingers and perhaps I damaged it in the process. Or it could be as simple as a light leak as you guys said. I'll do the test as suggested by john.margetts and see if I can isolate the problem. Your help is much appreciated folks!

Greg
This is a long shot but did you ever solve this? If so, was it light seal or damage to the shutter curtain? I have the same light leak on my CLE.

Alas, the OP hasn't been back since 3 days after starting the thread.

All I can suggest is following the earlier advice and hopefully reporting back with a solution.

Most reactions

Back